1958 johnson seahorse Fuel conections!!!! HELP

So I have almost done everything from a carb rebuild. Spark plugs. Entire ignition system. Gear housing kit and now am comming accros this new problem. After having the carb flood about five times now, I tried unhooking the fuel line into the carb housing. I have noticed it is constently pumping fuel too the carb. This is not good is my guess. Whats the problem if anyone can figure it out. The weather is so nice I am very close too getting this motor 100% trying not too but a new out board. (This year anyways)

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1958 johnson seahorse Fuel conections!!!! HELP

Crestliner; do you have the original pressure tank on there; with the double hose? Or did you convert it to a fuel pump?

In either case really; it's the needle valve in the carb that has the job of preventing flooding. Can you tell us a little about exactly what you did to the carb?

Replaced float?
Replaced Needle and Seat and took care to get the little wire hook connected from the needle to the float?
Adjusted float level and float drop?
Made sure that the boss gasket is new and fitted properly?
Checked that there was not a bunch of extra gasket material that is interfering with the float movement?

This should be a simple fix; don't get discouraged....

Chuck

nwcove

Admiral

+1 with seakay, the fuel pump does pump whenever the motor is running, the float, needle, and seat are the only parts that keep the pump from flooding the engine. is the float set level, did a piece of crud make it to the seat? sounds like an easy thing to diagnose and repair.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It would be very useful if you could tell us what outboard you are dealing with. There were several "Sea Horse" models made in 1958.

10hp johnson seahorse 1958. Have checked all that was asked in this thread. I have converted too a pump. The preasure tank was spraying out too much gas. Am able too get the motor started with the old tank but wouldn't runn very long. Am testing in a tank tonight will take one more look at the carb before going for the tank test but i am sure everything is how it's soppoused too be. Will check again though.

nwcove

Admiral

please forgive me....i confuse easily, but are you trying to run the motor , after the conversion, with the pressure tank? and have you been running it without it being in a test tank?

So after going over everything from the carb too the gas tank it ended up being the needle valve. WAS UPSIDE DOWN. The funnything is i was able too get the boat too run for about 2 weeks with on and off problems. It's always the little things. Thanks for your input all. Was able too get the motor too idle for the first time. Very excited for the year as this is my first boat and well the older motor give's I think the boat a different feel. The only other thing that I notice is the high speed needle is very loose. I will be ordering little parts here and their for the motor so everything is up too tip top shape. Again thank you for the help.

1958 Johnson Seahorse10 hp qd-19

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you tighten up the backing nut on the high speed needle?
So after going over everything from the carb too the gas tank it ended up being the needle valve. WAS UPSIDE DOWN. The funnything is i was able too get the boat too run for about 2 weeks with on and off problems. It's always the little things. Thanks for your input all. Was able too get the motor too idle for the first time. Very excited for the year as this is my first boat and well the older motor give's I think the boat a different feel. The only other thing that I notice is the high speed needle is very loose. I will be ordering little parts here and their for the motor so everything is up too tip top shape. Again thank you for the help.

1958 Johnson Seahorse10 hp qd-19

Backing nut is tight now. Had too use a deep socket in order to get it snug. Thanks for you insite.