Using carb cleaner in your fuel mix

scottyisback44

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Using carb cleaner in your fuel mix

Thats insane. I'd rather remove the carbs and give them a decent cleaning rather than run the risk of doing something like that.

BonairII

Commander

You can run Seafoam regularly in your fuel. It cleans your carbs.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Not advised but Seafoam is a better choice. The B-12 chemtrol will attack plastics.

Seafoam is good for de-carbing a motor and cleaning carbon deposits. Removing and rebuilding carbs is the best way to clean them AND not letting old fuel sit in a carb is even better advice.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Unfortunately seafoam cant check for worn needles,adjust floats or replace gaskets but there working on it.

BonairII

Commander

I run seafoam sporadically just as a preventive maintenance thing.

Seafoam(or anything else) should never be substituted for a good old-fashioned "get your hands dirty" carb cleaning.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You can run Seafoam regularly in your fuel. It cleans your carbs.
If a jet is stopped up nothing you can buy and add to fuel will clean it!!!! It has to be open for the fuel and cleaner to pass thru and remove the deposit. I have rebuilt several motors this year for this reason, customers added cleaners to fuel and thought it would clean the jet and motors ran lean and seized pistons. Additives are good for idle problems and keeps clean systems clean in my book ... they are all snake oil in my opinion.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

Carbs are easy to remove and clean, I'd do it just for piece of mind .... then run Seafoam or an enzyme addative to keep them clean. Carb kits are cheap too, while your at it ..... just sayin'. If you do have varnish, as stated above, it's tough stuff.

BonairII

Commander

If a jet is stopped up nothing you can buy and add to fuel will clean it!!!! It has to be open for the fuel and cleaner to pass thru and remove the deposit.

I agree.

Not to mention....no "cleaner" is going to be able to remove a piece of dirt or deteriorated fuel line debris etc that clogs a jet/passage.