Boat cover and proper rain drainage...

aphillipe

Cadet
I'm storing my boat outdoors (summer months only, then indoors the rest of the year) and because it's Oregon we still get quite a few rainy days. I have a nice cover that stretches and cinches down but due to the angle from the highest point (glass) to the lowest (back most seats and transom) water pools in between quite heavily. What's the easiest solution? Rig up som PVC to make more rigidity? Install a drain and run a hose through my bilge to exit out the back? What have others done? I need to tackle this dilemma this weekend...

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat cover and proper rain drainage...

I'm storing my boat outdoors (summer months only, then indoors the rest of the year) and because it's Oregon we still get quite a few rainy days. I have a nice cover that stretches and cinches down but due to the angle from the highest point (glass) to the lowest (back most seats and transom) water pools in between quite heavily. What's the easiest solution? Rig up som PVC to make more rigidity? Install a drain and run a hose through my bilge to exit out the back? What have others done? I need to tackle this dilemma this weekend...

Ayuh,... Tent it so's it self-drains...

cpdad93

Cadet

Ayuh,... Tent it so's it self-drains...

yes tent it..we put a nice three footed pole on but you can do something as simple as a piece of 2x4 screwed to a 12x12 plywood base. Just make sure to put something on the top end of the 2x4 so it doesn't tear through your cover(something like a top made of 6x6 chunk of plywood with a piece of foam or an old bath towel tied on it(thats the hillbilly version) I have also seen where some make an assembly that looks like a sailboat mast in the horizontal position to drape it over

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Simplest -- use a stack of 5 gallon buckets, or a trash can to support the cover.
Easy to use, easy to store, easy to remove, stable, and won't damage the cover.

Then use the trash can to store the cover in when not in use. It will keep the cover clean, dry, and mouse free.