88 Cobra Drive: Lower Cable Problem Cable is new

NeedaBiggerBoat

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought this boat so im not that farmiliar with it yet. 1989 Four Winns 205 Sundowner 205 5.7 Chevy I believe the drive is a 1988

I adjusted with the special tools and followed the procedures in the manual step by step. I took the boat out one time and everything went smoothly. the second time however on my way back in to the dock I could not get it into reverse it would stumble the engine but would not go back.

Cannot move in to reverse

1 When engine is off
2 When running on muffs or in water.

I think that its a binded cable but was reluctant to think so as I just replaced it any one have opinions on this?

NeedaBiggerBoat

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 88 Cobra Drive: Lower Cable Problem Cable is new

Well I once again took the cable off and was going to readjust it but it really didn't change, I was moving the cable by hand would still go in forward and neutral but stops when it hits the micro switch for the engine stumbler. The cable is binding I just cant figure out what cause it to do that in the first place. I would hate to get another cable kit and have the same thing happen again, I would like to find the root cause of the damn problem. I can see in the near future a Mercruiser Alpha 1 conversion.

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would take the outdrive off and make sure everying is well on the drive end. It may not be lined up correctly.

NeedaBiggerBoat

Seaman Apprentice

I would take the outdrive off and make sure everying is well on the drive end. It may not be lined up correctly.

What exactly am I looking to be lined up? If you are talking about the bell crank and the plastic part of the transom cable I used the tool that holds the bell crank and had the large plastic part flush with the gasket surface.

for some odd reason today after putting it around I got reverse back but now i have to shut the engine off to get it out of forward and reverse gears, I must not be doing something right some where. I put a few drops of transmission fluid down the cable sleeve as a last resort.

wcasey5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If that is the case. Make sure your shift interuptor is working, and that your idle is low enough.

NeedaBiggerBoat

Seaman Apprentice

The shift interrupter is working it stumbles but was binding at that point, I don't know how but it started to allow me once again to shift into reverse and forward without getting stuck. I lowered the idle and everything went perfect shifting wise but I'm fearing that its idling a little to low now as it sometimes dies at idle in neutral.

I since turned the idle up a little more and it clunks right in forwards if quick enough if not i get a slight ratchet sound.

I think its just that somewhere in between that I had a hard time finding and tweaking it little by little until I get there.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

You did the transom cable did you also adjust the cable from the remote control to the engine bracket/bellcrank? If thats out of adjustment it won't shift right.