16ft alumacraft boat with 60hp evinrude

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi i am planning on going out to the water tomorrow and i have a concern with the weight distribution of my boat...

I believe the boat is rated for 1200lb...but does that change if i bought a stronger motor?

This is the weight breakdown
motor- 230lb
person 1 - 140lb
person 2 - 200lb
person 3 - 160lb
person 4 - 250lb
person 5 - 180lb
gas tank - 60lb
battery 1 - 50lb
battery 2 -70lb
everything else about 100lbs

i was just wondering if because i had a strong engine if i would be fine or if we would be in some trouble when we get on the water, also with this motor how hard would it be to plan

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 16ft alumacraft boat with 60hp evinrude

First off, you're boat is really a two man boat. 16' and 60 hp doesn't always equate to more people onboard. I think your max weight is right around 850 lbs and that's really tanking it. Will it plane? It should but it may take moving people forward to get it there. If you're fishing it won't be much fun with all those people onboard.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I agree on the folks. Too many to have a good time in that size boat and may be unsafe, especially if you get into some big water. 60 hp on that size boat with that much load will be working to perform. Take some folks out and look at it again. Take some fishing one trip and the others another trip. You all may make it back home for supper.

Mark

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Do the math, you are at 1440#.

You are overweight.

Stronger motor or weaker motor has nothing to do with it.

Your boat will be overloaded, unsafe.

Your boat should have the hp, the max load, and the max number of people listed on the rating plate.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

How big the engine is has nothing to do with the weight rating, that is based on much weight the hull can safely operate .

With that many people it is going to be very very unsafe, it is just too much weight and even a small wake could capsize the boat, break the group down and take 1 or 2 other people.

There was just a multiple drownin g a few weeks ago that was almost exactly like this, a bunch of people in a small boat and it went down, it just isn't safe.

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How big the engine is has nothing to do with the weight rating, that is based on much weight the hull can safely operate .

With that many people it is going to be very very unsafe, it is just too much weight and even a small wake could capsize the boat, break the group down and take 1 or 2 other people.

There was just a multiple drownin g a few weeks ago that was almost exactly like this, a bunch of people in a small boat and it went down, it just isn't safe.

Thanks guys we just ended up taking 3 ppl an had a hell of a time...thanks for the info

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys we just ended up taking 3 ppl an had a hell of a time...thanks for the info

Yes sir and you made it back to tell about it. Good for you.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Because you have space/places to seat 3, 4, 5, 6, or 15 people does not mean those people can all be 200+ pounds. an airplane can't fly if it is overloaded and a boat becomes unsafe as well if it is overloaded. An Alumacraft makes a number of 16 foot boats -- some of which can handle the load you inidicated and some cannot. Since we have no idea which year and model you have it is impossible to say what's safe and wha's not.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Way too many people in that little boat. Sounds like a clown car. I wouldn't carry more than 3 at anyone time (if that), and two would be better. If you really want to take 5+ people out safely, on a regular basis, you'll need at least a 20' and/or pontoon boat, rather than your small aluminum fishing boat. Weight adds up quickly and includes not only the interior framework and decking materials, but fuel, gear and motor(s), not to mention the passengers. Boating isn't to be taken lightly. Things can go very wrong, very fast under ideal conditions, never mind bad weather or equipment failure, etc.... Based on your question, you're obviously new to boating, which is fine, we all have to start somewhere, but you must learn how to do it safely, both morally and leagally. As the captain of your craft, the safety of your passengers is the single most important job/responsibility you have and not one to be taken lightly. Your current set-up is asking for trouble from both the water and the law. You could easily be cited for having an overburdened craft on the water. I would suggest, trying a couple of short trips with light loads to familiarize yourself with your vessel and the waters you navigate. You can always get a bigger boat once you've got the basics under your belt. Be safe. Be smart. Stay dry.

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class

+1. Way too many people in that little boat. Sounds like a clown car. I wouldn't carry more than 3 at anyone time (if that), and two would be better. If you really want to take 5+ people out safely, on a regular basis, you'll need at least a 20' and/or pontoon boat, rather than your small aluminum fishing boat. Weight adds up quickly and includes not only the interior framework and decking materials, but fuel, gear and motor(s), not to mention the passengers. Boating isn't to be taken lightly. Things can go very wrong, very fast under ideal conditions, never mind bad weather or equipment failure, etc.... Based on your question, you're obviously new to boating, which is fine, we all have to start somewhere, but you must learn how to do it safely, both morally and leagally. As the captain of your craft, the safety of your passengers is the single most important job/responsibility you have and not one to be taken lightly. Your current set-up is asking for trouble from both the water and the law. You could easily be cited for having an overburdened craft on the water. I would suggest, trying a couple of short trips with light loads to familiarize yourself with your vessel and the waters you navigate. You can always get a bigger boat once you've got the basics under your belt. Be safe. Be smart. Stay dry.

Thanks for the advice and thats why im here, to double check before i make any dumb choices...I think i knew that it was too much weight but just wanted someone to tell me i was ok...good thing i used my better judgement along with everyone elses on this forum,,,

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Does your boat have a capacities plate?
I know someone mentioned it before but most newer boats have them.
It might say something like :5 persons or 685 lbs(which is like 140lbs/person);
1100 lbs persons,motor gear;
then the hp rating,35 tiller 60 console.

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does your boat have a capacities plate?
I know someone mentioned it before but most newer boats have them.
It might say something like :5 persons or 685 lbs(which is like 140lbs/person);
1100 lbs persons,motor gear;
then the hp rating,35 tiller 60 console.

it says the weight capacity is 1274 and an 80hp motor

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Seems like a study 16'er.
How'd your boat handle with the extra people,plane fine,tippy,etc.?
Seems like it maybe more of a size issue,then a weight issue because it looks like you should be well within your legal limits(depending on person size and gear brought)with the 4 of you.
Glad you had fun and things went well.

khelhelou

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Seems like a study 16'er.
How'd your boat handle with the extra people,plane fine,tippy,etc.?
Seems like it maybe more of a size issue,then a weight issue because it looks like you should be well within your legal limits(depending on person size and gear brought)with the 4 of you.
Glad you had fun and things went well.

with 4 people it was kinda tippy...one guy had to leave so with three people it was good and planed fine...it didnt really plane well with 4 ppl but when the fourth left...three ppl i think was perfect!