lower unit help 56 Evinrude big twin

twobills76

Cadet
I have a 1956 Evinrude Big Twin 35 HP. I have the lower unit apart and the forward gear has a brass bushing in it that just spins on the shaft. so therefore I have no forward gear. how is this bushing normally held in place on the gear and any recommendations on temporary repair?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: lower unit help 56 Evinrude big twin

The bushing in the gear is a snug fit, but you should be able to push it out with your finger. Not sure how you could not have forward gear with it loose, as the gear engagement is independent of the bushing. As long as the bushing isn't slopping in there, I'd leave it be... If it is sloppy/worn, you would need to replace it as that would allow the propshaft to "walk" around a bit and cause wear elsewhere...

twobills76

Cadet

the bushing isn't sloppy inside the gear but it is really free and nowhere near snug inside. The reverse gear bushing is in tight...cannot be removed as if it were pressed in?:confused:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I think you have your gears bass ackwards. The fwd gr has the solid bushing and the rev gr has the floater.

twobills76

Cadet

Yes i did...I found a manual and downloaded it and have it back together...now just gotta remount to the motor. Thank you guys! This boat has been in the family since it was new. My dad, Wife and I have been redoing it. last time it was on the water at full throttle it would slip. I reversed the clutch dog after filing the rounded edges down a bit...hopefully wil help or i will have to fond a new clutch dog. first lower unit I have ever messed with...

kfa4303

Banned

twobills76

Cadet

Thank you kfa! i will see how the test run goes this week and go from there.