6hp Evinrude fisherman starter removal

Moocher

Seaman Apprentice
Hi - First post but long time reader. I'm looking to remove the carb for service and Im assuming I need to start by taking the rewind starter off. Can someone help with a step by step on removing the starter. All I seem to find is threads on replacing the rope. Thanks in advance.

Moocher

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 6hp Evinrude fisherman starter removal

I forgot. It's a 1972 6202

nwcove

Admiral

does it have the two 5/16 bolts on top?

nwcove

Admiral

well, i just removed the carb on a 1985 6hp, and the starters look quite similiar....hope im not giving you bad advice tho. remove the two 5/16 bolts.....gently move the starter forward, but dont lift up, keep the bottom of it still in the lower bracket, and pray the spring stays put. when i moved mine i used some electrical tape to secure it just in case i bumped it. i also had to remove the cam follower ( just one screw..and part #30 in your engine diagram). easy access to the nut after that, and the carb was off in about 15 mins. getting the rope guide back into place took a couple of tries putting it all back together tho.

Moocher

Seaman Apprentice

well, i just removed the carb on a 1985 6hp, and the starters look quite similiar....hope im not giving you bad advice tho. remove the two 5/16 bolts.....gently move the starter forward, but dont lift up, keep the bottom of it still in the lower bracket, and pray the spring stays put. when i moved mine i used some electrical tape to secure it just in case i bumped it. i also had to remove the cam follower ( just one screw..and part #30 in your engine diagram). easy access to the nut after that, and the carb was off in about 15 mins. getting the rope guide back into place took a couple of tries putting it all back together tho.

Worked like a champ. Thanks do much for the quick response. Now it's time to find a thread on rebuilding my carb. Ha! Thanks again.

nwcove

Admiral

carb fix is the easy thing.....just do it right the first time! (top secret file at the beginning of this forum)

Moocher

Seaman Apprentice

carb fix is the easy thing.....just do it right the first time! (top secret file at the beginning of this forum)

I'm not sure what you mean by top secret.