Overheat/water pump

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class
2002 Sea Ray 5.0 MPI Alpha 1 Gen 2----Started boat after winterizing. Overheated with hose hooked up in driveway. Water pump was new last year. Took hose off power steering cooler and hardly any flow. Backwashed from cooler out since that was a problem early last year and no dirt came out. Took apart and all look good. Replacing all parts of water pump but shouldn't there be an O ring in the upper housing that goes around driveshaft that I should also change? Thank you, RR

cr2k

Captain
Re: Overheat/water pump

There is a shield that goes down on the outside and is set with a plastic ring that set the correct height. Don't push it down all the way and don't try to tuck it inside the housing.

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will try to be more clear. If you take the lower unit off the boat (the shaft with the seal that is not pushed all the way down is off the boat) and stick your fingers up where the shaft goes into the upper part of the lower unit or look in there are there o rings that go around the shatf that drives the impeller?

Bondo

Staff member

I will try to be more clear. If you take the lower unit off the boat (the shaft with the seal that is not pushed all the way down is off the boat) and stick your fingers up where the shaft goes into the upper part of the lower unit or look in there are there o rings that go around the shatf that drives the impeller?

Ayuh,... If the vertical shaft has a groove in the top, it takes an o-ring...

If there's No o-ring groove, it Don't...

Those were deleted in later drives...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are no orings on the vertical shaft of a Gen II outdrive.
Perhaps you could post some pictures of what you are asking.
Here is a .pdf file on changing the impeller that shows all the gaskets and seals.

View attachment A1G2 Impeller Replace.pdf

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

What I am talking about is not in a pump kit. It is the upper part of drive. Another way to explain it is what keeps oil from upper part of drive from running down shaft onto water pump assembly?

Paxdad

Cadet

I think I ran into the same problem or question that is being asked. When I removed my Alpha One Gen II (2006 5.0L MPI) lower unit this weekend to replace the impeller I discovered that the water pump face seal was missing. My rebuild kit contained the new seal so I verified that the old seal was not stuck up in the upper unit. Everything went back together easily as it should. The only difference I noticed is that it seems like my operating tem went up. It is running 180-185 degrees with a 160 thermostat (raw water). The exhaust manifolds are both warm to touch and the risers are cool to touch. There are no leaks etc. Hopefully I did everything correclty. I purchase the boat just recently and the few time I have had it out i did not pay a lot of attention to the exact temp on the gauge other than that it was in the 180 range. The impeller that was taken out looked fine and there was no wear on the plate or housing.

Paxdad

Cadet

I think I ran into the same problem or question that is being asked. When I removed my Alpha One Gen II (2006 5.0L MPI) lower unit this weekend to replace the impeller I discovered that the water pump face seal was missing. My rebuild kit contained the new seal so I verified that the old seal was not stuck up in the upper unit. Everything went back together easily as it should. The only difference I noticed is that it seems like my operating tem went up. It is running 180-185 degrees with a 160 thermostat (raw water). The exhaust manifolds are both warm to touch and the risers are cool to touch. There are no leaks etc. Hopefully I did everything correclty. I purchase the boat just recently and the few time I have had it out i did not pay a lot of attention to the exact temp on the gauge other than that it was in the 180 range. The impeller that was taken out looked fine and there was no wear on the plate or housing.