When did Murphy visit you?

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Murphy stopped to see me when:

I was cleaning the tin on the outside of my transom hit it with the angle grinder with a soft wire wheel and presto no more tine.

Murphy GO HOME. LOL

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: When did Murphy visit you?

Murphy is an optimist.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

:redface: As I see it he is an opportunist, He will slap you in the back of the head and say what were you thinking any time he can. like some Woman / Men that we soon forget about. Sorry I just had too LOL :D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Visit? Helllll he moved in for awhile
CIMG00721.jpg

nomrwrk

Seaman

Murphy stopped by the other day and slapped my head with the kicker motor keel. After an emergency room visit, a mild concussion, and three stiches I paid my debt in full to Murph!

IMG_0077.jpg

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's Murphy that causes that? I thought is was a boat gremlin.:confused: Either way one of the two woke up with me Tuesday morning, and blessed me with a series of trailer brake issues, and light problems before I even hit the water. Started at 6am hoping for a noon splash time which didn't happen until 3.No problems encountered on the way to the lake, but upon arrival at planned lake,found out it was 6' low, so had to trailer to another nearby lake that was only 1' low.Next opportunity for them to show up was the launching ramp;The winch hook and bow eye on my new setup sits above the V block on my trailer, so the hook and bow eye got stuck on the V block, and had one heck of a time trying to get the thing of the trailer. Then went to fire it up once off the trailer, and the starter just turned without grabbing for the first five tries.:facepalm:Finally get her fired up to go sit in the middle of the lake while the Admiral goes to weigh the trailer for registration purposes, she gets lost on the way back from the weigh station.The Admiral finally arrived back to the lake very frazzled, head back to the dock to pick her up, and the next opportunity for their appearance arrived. While out on the lake, I was running on the wrong gas tank (the one with 1/4 tank of old gas, and who knows what else in it) and boat started idling a little rough.Arrive back at launch ramp, idling in, and motor stalled 20' away from the dock.:eek:(did pull an nice drift next to the open dock on the other side of the ramp though; good thing it was empty.:D) Picked her up, and headed back out so after the day from hell, she could actually get to enjoy the boat for a few minutes; then it started pouring down rain.The following day I found my bow eye on my boat loose and missing a rivet.If I ever get my hands on either Murphy or the boat gremlin, I'm going to beat the turd to oblivion with and oar!:mad:

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

Steven
Sorry you had such a bad day. I know what they are like because it feels like nothing is going your way.
When that happens to me I just try and take on the F it attitude and figure they days screwed so take on what you can and just ride it out for the rest of the way.

I try to avoid Murphy at all costs. When he knocks, the lights go out and no one answers at my house.
I do think my future wife's car invites Murphy over as often as possible though... As it is an older foreign/luxury so the parts are expensive. :facepalm: It's a great car when it runs well.

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

Visit? Helllll he moved in for awhile
CIMG00721.jpg

Did some crows tell that boat all it needs is a magic feather to fly? Damn crows deceiving perfectly innocent boats.

"Ever seen a boat fly?"
"I've seen a horse fly."
"I've seen a dragon fly."
"I've seen a house fly."

Was this due to a major storm?

dozerII

Admiral

Ouch, but Murphy is never paid in full, he's always around lloking for pay!!!:eek:

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

Steven
Sorry you had such a bad day. I know what they are like because it feels like nothing is going your way.
When that happens to me I just try and take on the F it attitude and figure they days screwed so take on what you can and just ride it out for the rest of the way.

No worries, it could have been a whole lot worse.:) I'm just glad my boat hasn't developed a sudden urge to go play with some cattle......yet.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Holy s**T... I am so sorry that happened. Did the coupler fail or was it the ball? Please don't say operator error. :(

It was kinda a mix of both..A buddy hooked her up, but I didn't check the connection myself.
The coupler wasn't set properly..I just got off the freeway about 5 minutes before this.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

He found me about a month ago. I had taken both boats out to a lake im not familiar with since a friend has a house on it. Well after an hour of fun there the Merc 500 started acting up by not going past about 1/4 throttle for anything. I was a bit pissed, so started towing it the 6 miles or so back to the launch... then the Force started doing the same thing! Worse actually, fluctuating rpms and almost no power. So both engines acted up at the same time, towed the SC back with the older AC (the old Merc worked better then the newer Force). Long story short, I think it was dirty water not cooling them properly... once I got to cleaner water both worked fine. Frustrating couple hour ride seeing major repair bills on BOTH engines!

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was kinda a mix of both..A buddy hooked her up, but I didn't check the connection myself.
The coupler wasn't set properly..I just got off the freeway about 5 minutes before this.

Ah yeah I always check that when my Dad and I go out with his boat. Not because I don't trust his work. I do it for peace of mind.

BonairII

Commander

Murphy made a huge mess for me 2 days ago.

I dropped the boat in the water and was pulling the empty trailer out of the water and heard a thud. I gave the minivan a bit of throttle and heard the driver's side tire start to squeal. Got out of the car and realized that the passenger side tie rod end had fallen off the tie rod!!!! :eek: My tire was facing inward.

Ended up jacking the van up and facing the tire forward and inching the van up the ramp and back to the parking lot. We went fishing anyway.

When we got back I jacked the van up and simply screwed the tie rod back on. I drove the 7 miles back home VERY gingerly cause I didn't trust the tie rod end. I replaced the tie rod end the next day.

If that tie rod end had come off while I was on the highway(with the boat in tow), I probably would have had a huge accident! Best case scenario, I would have destroyed the passenger side wheel/suspension/ and CV joint etc.

Never seen a tie rod end unscrew itself before. Must've been slowly backing itself out for a long time(I bought the van last year as a beater car).

DirtyHarry83

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's just a little scary. Whew. That reminds me I need to install my new front shocks, upper and lower ball joints and check my tie rods to make sure they aren't loose or cracking.

barato2

Commander

so you remember the pic of my transom sitting up on edge to get the epoxy to soak into the end grain?
P1010754.jpg

at the bottom, tapered edge was being partly supported by one of those plastic tool trays. Unfortunately with some tools in it. the drippage and runoff from the last coat (not much was soaking in at that point) epoxied the tools in place in the tray, including a rack of deep sockets, a racheting combo wrench and a long cobalt drill bit. so i got the mess out of the tray pretty easily but everything was epoxied together. no problem, get the utility knife and carve off the epoxy from each socket, the drill bit etc.
guess i won't be playing guitar for a bit.....but the fingertip wound should heal pretty cleanly...........:facepalm:

in other news, a cutting wheel cuts flesh pretty well too, but it mostly cauterizes the wound so it doesn't bleed too much....