Port Starboard Alignment advice...

mega6490

Cadet
Stock lag's were short and torqued/rolled out of the transom slightly, throwing off my engine alignment. Anyone have advice on moving the engine over 1/2" without a crane/lift, or should I work on getting one?
Thanks,

Zach

undercover

Cadet
Re: Port Starboard Alignment advice...

You should be able to slide the motor left to right without a lift. Keep in mind also that you can get a little left/right adjustment by swiveling the center of the gimbal bearing since it's installed at a ~45 deg angle.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

your going to have to pull the drives to properly align. also, make sure that the engine mounts are not wet and rotted.

mega6490

Cadet

your going to have to pull the drives to properly align. also, make sure that the engine mounts are not wet and rotted.

The stock lag bolts to the transom are about 3 inches long (and wore out one side's holes), I got some that are 6.0" so that should clear up that problem. Maybe put some fiberglass putty in there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

make sure that the wood is dry. most of the time when lag bolts pull out, the wood is wet and rotten. if the wood is clearly dry, use epoxy in the holes when you bolt the engine back down.

Bondo

Staff member

The stock lag bolts to the transom are about 3 inches long (and wore out one side's holes), I got some that are 6.0" so that should clear up that problem. Maybe put some fiberglass putty in there.

Ayuh,.... If they don't go clean Through the hull....

You should be able to shake, or bar the motor to whichever side...

mega6490

Cadet

I have plenty of clearance...I'm not that dumb haha! Yeah I'm gonna give it a try tonight.