1966 Evinrude 80 hp low spark won't start.

boatman926

Recruit
I have just purchased a nice overhauled older boat. It has the Evinrude 80 hp V4 1966 outboard motor. The owner had purchased it recently, but had issues with the magneto belt breaking. I took off the magneto, after I realized it was not firing properly.

I held it in my hand and spun it. It locked up. I took it apart and found a screw in it. I think the first owner took it apart, when he had issues with the spark and then locked it up with the screw he dropped into the magnet in it, breaking the belt later in the process.

After putting in new points and having good cap, rotor and wires, plugs and so on. ( It actually looks like the guy put most of the parts in recently and broke it with the screw misshap)

We did get it to start one time. I know if you put a drill on the bolt that holds the gear on the top of the mag and spin it, it will not fire at slow speeds but as you pick up the speed, it fires like a champ.

Now, I know these older magnetos did not have a sytem to quick spin them for more spark until the engine was running.

When we did get it to start, it was before we put in the new points and condinser. It only started briefly and then died when it ran out of fuel. I had the fuel line off. I believe it would have ran on for ever.

I have worked on this kind of equipment for many years but have been a nurse for the last seven, so I have gotten a little rusty.

Anybody got a sugestion. Shoud it have spark at slow speeds? It has around 110 PSI of compression exactly on each of the four cylinders. The fuel sytem is in check. It just won't even backfire or anything. Because we had it running in the same timming spot that the other owner had place it, we are sure that part is correct.

The points open just befor the cylinder that is about to fire comes to TDC. That should at least get it to do something. I am sure it is not a timing or fuel issue. I am thinking the coil is week. I will test it first for resistance. I need help.