Rockwell and GKN Yokes Interchangeable?

otterby

Seaman
I need to replace the short yoke in the driveline on my '05 SX-M 1.66. The yoke I have now has GKN stamped into it. I the genuine volvo parts section if I want GKN I have to buy the entire driveline assembly. However I can buy jusy the yoke in the Rockwell setup. Can I replace the GKN yoke with a Rockwell yoke? In the aftermarket section it only lists one yolk that crosses to the Rockwell number. Below are the parts breakdowns for the Rockwell and the GKN.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Bear...on_id.420451527--store_id.366--view_id.782028

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Bear...on_id.420451527--store_id.366--view_id.782030

rem9607

Recruit
Re: Rockwell and GKN Yokes Interchangeable?

I need to replace the short yoke in the driveline on my '05 SX-M 1.66. The yoke I have now has GKN stamped into it. I the genuine volvo parts section if I want GKN I have to buy the entire driveline assembly. However I can buy jusy the yoke in the Rockwell setup. Can I replace the GKN yoke with a Rockwell yoke? In the aftermarket section it only lists one yolk that crosses to the Rockwell number. Below are the parts breakdowns for the Rockwell and the GKN.

Bearing Carrier And U-Joint, Rockwell SX-M 1.43, SX-M 1.51, SX-M 1.60, SX-M 1.66 - 7746020 - Volvo Penta

Bearing Carrier And U-Joint, Gkn SX-M 1.43, SX-M 1.51, SX-M 1.60, SX-M 1.66, SX-MTD 1.66, SX-MTD3 1.66 - 7746020 - Volvo Penta

Not sure why you never had a reply, but Im in the same situation and about to try to interchange the two brands, Hope it works.

rem9607

Bondo

Staff member

Not sure why you never had a reply, but Im in the same situation and about to try to interchange the two brands, Hope it works.

rem9607

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I donno why otterby didn't get an answer,...

June 7th, 2012, is a busy time of season,.... Two(2) Years ago,....

As the Big Red banner said on the page ya found this on, it's Much Better for you to start a thread of yer Own, 'bout Yer boat, 'n problems with it,...

Our Host here, iboats, sells both the after market Sierra parts, as well as Factory Volvo parts,...
Just click on the Volvo Penta Parts link above, 'n pick the parts ya need,...

Here's the link for Yolks, aftermarket,...

Like K-2 says,... If they Measure the same, 'n have the right spline count, it oughta work just fine,...

Fun Times

Staff member

In an effort to try and finalize this thread for future references, I can only speak of what Mercruiser did back in 2004. I'm not sure if Volvo followed suit or not, But maybe with the description between the two manufacturers below will help with this type of question.

The rockwell assembly is gray in color where the GKN assembly is black in color.

The rockwell assembly has the cross and bearing end caps retained with the clips at the bottom of the cap, inside of the yoke ear.

The GKN assembly has the cross and bearing end caps retained with the clips above the cap on the outside of the yoke ear for standered Bravo and Alpha.

The Rockwell U-joint assembly was a greasable assembly. The GKN is a permalube style, like the alpha U-joint assembly and cannot be greased.

The GKN Bravo X assembly is black in color and has the cross and bearing end caps retained with clips at the bottom of the cap, inside of the yoke ear, as did the Rockwell style (Bachman U-Joint assembly).

Also the GKN uses a special set of tools from Mercruiser part number 91-866107A01 (GKN U-joint tool set).

Last edited: