Plastic gas tank leak

salmonite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe I I targeted my leak and it's not the tank but the connection to the hoses.. But my question is it looks like its coming from between the plastic of the tank and the metal fitting? I will replace hoses and put new plumber tape on all the threads but is there supposed to be a seal between the plastic and the metal fitting?
Also I should state its a 15 gallon permanent gas tank with vents and two metal fittings in the back. One for each motor...

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Plastic gas tank leak

With no pictures I would remove and tape the threads with telflon tape and snug everything up good. If you have a leak then I would think the plastic is striped out and a new tank will be required. If someone has messed with this before you who knows if they removed a seal or something.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Two outlets for motors, so is it safe to assume that besides the fill hose there is also another fitting for the vent?

Check both of the outlet fittings, both should have a 'dip tube' that extends near the bottom of the tank to pick up the fuel AND the hose barb side of each fitting should have a spring loaded check ball that does a couple of things, will not allow fuel to pass unless the fuel pump pulls a vacuum and also acts as a 'check' valve so fuel does not return to the tank.

Either case, the threads should remain dry until sloshed by the fuel tank movement, rock and roll of the craft.

Fuel tank sealer, teflon, should work to reseal the thread.

salmonite

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After close inspection it is my vent hose that has the small leak.. Then looking further the cap to my vent was very tight outside the boat. It does look like the cap does abilities to vent even when tight but do you think its not letting enough air out and causing to much pressure?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If the vent did not allow enough air to pass then the fuel pumps would suck the primer bulbs flat, the motor fail to run WOT very long, run lean and melt pistons. If you can blow thru the hose once disconnected from the tank, it's OK.