1973 Chrysler 557hf 55 hp cooling system

Jlemeu01

Recruit
I bought a 1973 Chrysler 55 hp outboard model number 557hf a few weeks back. When I started it the first time I had to keep pumping the primer bulb to keep it running. I found out the fuel pump gaskets where trash but where working some what. I bought the round " ear muffs" but it was not pumping water is there something I'm doing wrong. I can't seem to find an impeller or water pump for this year and model or even part numbers for that matter or what gaskets I would need to replace these two things. Any advice would be greatly apriciated I'm new to boat motors but I am very mechanically inclined.

Jlemeu01

Recruit
Re: 1973 Chrysler 557hf 55 hp cooling system

I did order the new fuel pump gasket kit in hopes that if I replaced those gaskets and submerged the lower end completely in water that it might start pumping water

rickryder

Commander

Welcome to iboats!

Let me help you out... here is a link to my 4shared account so you can download the OEM service manual for your motor http://www.4shared.com/zip/QWWFr2YC/ob2803.html

I found my 55 didn't like the muffs.... It would pump water but only at about 1500 rpm.... you could try a garbage can filled with water ;)

You should do an impeller tho!

Jlemeu01

Recruit

Hey thank you very much that answers a lot of questions