Change Mallory to Thunderbolt on a Merc 898

Dalmeny

Recruit
Hello<br /><br />i want to change my old Mallory Distributor to a Thunderbolt Ignition System (wich is on the same engine one year later...since 1983). Engine is a 1982 Mercruiser 898 5.0 GM 305cid <br /><br />Is it possible to replace the old distributor by the Thunderbolt?<br /><br /><br />I bought a used Thunderbolt at ebay.<br />The problem is, that one wire is cut off directly at the plug and i don't have a wiring circuit with the coulors.<br /><br />5 wires come out of the electronic box:<br />red/white<br />green/white<br />violet<br />grey<br /><br />i don't know the colour of the 5th wire (maybe black)<br /><br />Do someone know where the wire colours have to be connected?<br /><br /><br />best regards from germany<br /><br /><br />Chris

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Change Mallory to Thunderbolt on a Merc 898

Welcome to iboats :) The missing wire is indeed black....Mercruiser manual #9 should tell you exactly what set-up you have...Anyway, the purple goes to + side of coil.....Gray goes to - side of coil..White/red & white/green go to the distributer....Red on the left & green to the right....The missing black wire grounds directly to the engine....That missing black wire is most likely gonna be a problem, in fact that ignition amplifier is probably worthless... :( <br /><br />In all honesty, I think you are wasting your time.....Stick with the Mallory, change your points & condenser & go boating.....If you are tired of points......Upgrade to a Pertronix.... ;) IMHO......JK

Dalmeny

Recruit

Hello Medoc<br /><br />thanks for your answer...<br /><br />the main reason for changing it, is that i have always problems with the breaker and the condenser.<br /><br />So i want to solve the problem by changing to an electronic system.<br /><br />I don't know the Pertronix...<br />Is this also an electronic system?<br /><br />i'll google for it<br /><br />thanks again<br /><br /><br />greetings <br />Chris

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

"D", look in the search function at the top of this page....There is a ton of information on the subject....JK

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

thunderbold dist came apart like they do,500.00 canada to fix a 80 merk it quit no spark, my 50 did same merk another 350 for motor that I swaped for repairs,50 was spark, and 80 carb's that time I have guy's address better have buch of cash I stick with points