Pontoon over Bowrider as First Boat?

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to choose a family boat for my family of 4 and we want the boat for cruising, swimming and tubing, and maybe some fishing. I have several used bowriders to look at, and I never really looked into pontoons until my friend, the marina manager explained how simple the pontoons were.

He told me that a pontoon with a 40+ HP outboard is plenty fun.

So, would a pontoon satisfy us?

mrbusdriver

Seaman
Re: Pontoon over Bowrider as First Boat?

Iv'e owned several different types of boats and to me a pontoon is the best there is. You can do all of the things that you talked about, with plenty of room to move around. Mine is a 18 ft with a 40 hp, with your group you will want a bigger boat and maybe more hp.

crspang

Cadet

A pontoon is the way to go for a family boat. But, get as much horsepower as you can afford, you won't regret it. I've never heard anyone say "I wish I would have gotten the smaller motor" in a storm.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pontoons are fantstic platforms. Comparing a bowrider to a pontoon is like this:

- The pontoon ride will be a lot smoother.

- Pontoons have a lot more space.

- Everyone wants to hang-out on a pontoon much more than a bowrider.

- Bowrider will handle better and make better speed. However, some of the newer toon technology makes up for this.

Our first toon we got when we had a very young family. A 40 HP was plenty big for us. We also owned a jetski whihc was great for pulling tubes too. Today, we still have a toon, just with a 115 motor and we still have a jetski.

Yes, the the biggest motor you can afford.

The Rooster

Ensign

+1 ^^^ to all the above advice !!! Good luck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If 20 MPH is not fast enough for you, then you do not want a pontoon. Yes -- putting enough power on a cement boat can make it fast but pontoons are slow cruisers. Great family boats -- just not quick with 40 - 60 HP. They are roomy and safe. If water skiing and serious water toy towing lights your fire then you want a planing hull like a deck boat or standard V-hull runabout. They are quick, sexy, but far less roomy.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Pontoons have plenty of space, and they are a great value in that they will last just about forever if properly maintained and kept dry when not in use. (Mine is 26 years old.) You should decide what you want to do with the boat, and make a purchase that suits your present AND future boating needs. Nobody was ever sorry they got the bigger engine.

First question: Do you have a proper tow vehicle? Pontoons pull heavier than they are due to poor aerodynamics and general length. A V-8 pickup truck or SUV is preferable. Forget any front wheel drive vehicle to pull any boat over 1500 lbs.

You mentioned a 40 hp motor on a pontoon. It's important that a boat be seaworthy and capable of getting out of harms way in case of storms. They just won't cut the mustard.

A 22' boat with a 90 hp would be a good size boat for family water sports. Depending on how much you're wanting to spend, I especially like the same boat with 115 hp, triple hulls and lifting strakes on the hulls--for efficiency and speed. A trihull will handle so much better than a regular pontoon, which is important when maneuvering around skiers and tubers.

Good luck with your boat search.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep, $6000, and I have a 4WD Tahoe with the tow package.

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if $6,000 is your budget, then I would stick with a bowrider. you can get a MUCH nicer bowrider for $6k, than you can a pontoon. For example, my friend just bpaid $3800 last season for a 1995 18 footer bowrider. spent $1500 having seats, carpet, and stripes re-painted. boat is in very good shape.

IMO, you won't be happy seeing what $6k gets you when you see what it gets for a speed boat.

if you have 9 to 12k to spend, IMO, you can get into a nice, clean pontoon.

Frankly, boat loans are easy to get, low rates too. Might consider financing a little bit of it.

rogerwa

Commander

AS I said on your other thread, try renting one of each to try them out. Towing a toon as a regular occurence would not be my first choice as they are basically a big wind sock.

If watersports will be a big factor in your usage, a 40hp will not nearly cut it. Speed and hp do not have a linear relationship like planing hulls. My 25' with a 90 would only get about 20mph. And it would not cut worth a darn. OK for small kids and less adventurous.

If you have teens, they will want to be thrown. Other than the expensive tri-toons with 115+hp, you will not have this capability.

Liek I said try them out first to see what fits..

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm considering bumping my ceiling to $10k. In my other thread, someone posted the link to the sad tale of the rotten Sea Ray. My heart sunk, and reality smacked me. I do not want to fight rot and I am not capable of either the patience or skill to restore a boat.

rogerwa

Commander

Rot doesn't happen to all boats. You just need to choose carefully.

Restless22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I know all old boats can't be bad, but the odds aren't in my favor.

I did notice a comment about the ability to beach a Pontoon boat. Now that sounds like a neat adventure idea on the Tenn River here. I never thought of that until I read it here!

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if $6,000 is your budget, then I would stick with a bowrider. you can get a MUCH nicer bowrider for $6k, than you can a pontoon. For example, my friend just bpaid $3800 last season for a 1995 18 footer bowrider. spent $1500 having seats, carpet, and stripes re-painted. boat is in very good shape.

IMO, you won't be happy seeing what $6k gets you when you see what it gets for a speed boat.

if you have 9 to 12k to spend, IMO, you can get into a nice, clean pontoon.

Frankly, boat loans are easy to get, low rates too. Might consider financing a little bit of it.

This is true for the most part since it is now the begining of boating season, not the end where deals are to be had, but if you look they are out there. Mine was only 7K and is like new. Grandmother only drove it to church on Sunday, and only one drug run a week, low hours

Attachments

• boatkids in town 008.jpg
    boatkids in town 008.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Grandmother only drove it to church on Sunday, and only one drug run a week, low hours

LOL! You are absolutely not right! Restless, there's a lot to recommend a barge, and it sounds like the right rig (maybe a 20' to 22' with a 90 to 115) would be a great fit for you guys, but I do agree that you need to try some boats. My concern is the same as the others'; your kids might get bored with the limited water sports potential that comes with all but the high dollar triple toon boats. I'm not saying you can't ski and tube behind a barge, but I have a 21' with a 90 and my nine year old daughter wishes it were faster and more nimble when she's tubing. I'm about to slap some skis on her tootsies and that will mitigate her need for speed, but you get the point. A toon will give you the most all around fun for the money IMO, but every boat is a compromise, and there are things that a planing hull does much better, so I really do think team Restless needs to rent one of each for a day and see how it goes.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

And, just to confuse things further, you might also look at some deck boats. There are both fiberglass and aluminum models on the water. I won't get into their respective pros and cons just yet.

Treker57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We rented both bowriders and pontoons over a spring, summer, and fall, and as incoop has stated, they all have thier advantages and not. Only "you"(family) can decide. For us the toon was the best just for the room, and storage. We are not going to break any speed records, but will be very comfortable. Reminds of a test that NBC did awhile back when gas prices were on the rise. Two family were given vehicles to drive across country, one family had a Prius, the other a Lincoln Navigator, the Navigator cost three time the amount to drive across country but guess who had the nicest ride