2010 Q7 Smart tab install

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice
Here are some pictures of my install of the Smart Tabs on my 2010 Q7SSF.

SANY0523.jpg
I found that if the lower bracket is taped on as shown it will hold the entire assembly in place. It helped me make sure of the location on both sides.
SANY0529.jpg
With the chosen location, there is no interference with the swim ladder.
SANY0534.jpg
Be sure that you tape under the bracket before you do any drilling on fiberglass! No cracks, no chips.
SANY0535.jpg
One side completed. Now just do the other side.
SANY0544.jpg
Sorry the picture isn't better, but the boat is backed up close to the woodpile. Can't wait to put it on the water!

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2010 Q7 Smart tab install

thanks for the photos of your install. Always helpful to see how others have done it.

If you have a chance to have some before and after data that would be great (WOT RPM and speeds, planning speeds)

Is going in reverse a concern with these?

whitey224

Seaman

Looks great!! I hope to put mine on soon. Did you use a chamfer bit after drilling the holes? I do not know if that would prevent small cracks later or if that wouldn't matter.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks for the photos of your install. Always helpful to see how others have done it.

If you have a chance to have some before and after data that would be great (WOT RPM and speeds, planning speeds)

Is going in reverse a concern with these?

reverse is not an issue.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

I did not use a chamfer bit, I use used a real sharp (read new) bit and went slowly. What you probably saw in the picture is a drill stop. No sense drilling completely through the transom because the screws used are not long enough to reach completely through anyway. As spdracr39 stated, I do not believe reverse will be an issue. I usually keep it under 40mph when going in reverse (ha ha). I do believe I will need to make some adjustment on hole placement on the tabs. I went with the recommended 80 lb actuators per Greg at Nauticus. He is a wealth of info.
I will try to get some technical data this weekend. BTW this boat is still "stock" so your results may differ.

On the water

Cadet

With respect to drilling the holes, if you start with the drill running in reverse you will dramatically cut down on the chane of spidering. Once you get through the clear-coat you can switch to forward and you will be fine. I did this for both my tower and smart-tabs and it worked great.

Thanks for the pictures, always nice to see how other folks are setting up their boats.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Great job on the install of the smart tabs!! I wonder if the hull is the same as my 2011...it sure looks like it? How far from the outer chine did you put the bracket? I know standard recommendation is about 5 inches from the outer chine. I didn't think it could be that far out because of the curvature of the hull for the top of the strut. Thanks for letting me know about it! I can't wait to get mine installed. Did it stop the V-hull wander at low speed? Give us an update!!!!:D

When I install mine i am going to use the PR-500 brackets so I can raise them out of the water for wake boarding.:cool:

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

It is my plan to take the boat out tomorrow. I'll update the post when I get home. I will also get a better picture of the back of the boat. That should help with some of the location pictures. A shot from underneath would help too!

time in lieu

Recruit

I have the same boat, but a 2011! I put my tabs in the same spot but with 60lb actuators and found that when up on step they are out of the water a bit and spray 5ft rooster tails when up past 40 mph!! Did you find the same with the 80lb actuators? They sure smartened the boat right up after installing them that's for sure!!! Very happy so far other than the rooster tails.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

In deference to my email to Greg at Smart Tabs, I won't post my "on the water results" until I hear back from him. Hopefully (with the previous history of his contacts) it will be today. Time in lieu - I too have rooster tails.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

In deference to my email to Greg at Smart Tabs, I won't post my "on the water results" until I hear back from him. Hopefully (with the previous history of his contacts) it will be today. Time in lieu - I too have rooster tails.

Here are the results of my install:

Positives: Boat handles MUCH better at slow speed. No slow speed "wander"
at all. At Idle speed it slowed the boat from 4.5mph to 2.6-7. Which is great for handling the boat. There was almost no bow rise at all. On plane speed was down to about 17-18 mph- was 20-21 before.

Negatives: The top end suffered dramatically. The best we could do was 39-40mph at 4600rpm. We hit 44 and didn't even have the throttle wide( open right at 4000) before they were on. They also throw quite a rooster tail.
To the point it would be hard to tube behind it. This is quite disappointing. They were installed as per directions with the actuators in the 3 hole.

I have been in contact with Greg @ Nauticus. He thought that the 80 lb actuators might be too strong. He has agreed to send me lighter actuators to try.

To all that might want to install these on the Q7 SF: Please understand that I have installed them on the 2010 220 hp model. This is the non fuel injected 5.0 L engine. It is my understanding that the fuel injected version of this engine produces 260 hp. Your results may vary based on this, but I believe the 80lb actuators will be too heavy.

When I get the lighter actuators and get them installed, I will post the results.

On the water

Cadet

I use the 60lb actuators on my 2008 Q7i (with the 5.0L carb) and don't have a rooster tail problem . I did just blow my second actuator over the weekend, but Nauticus is replacing it for free because they are under warranty (they have always been very helpful when I have called). Good luck with the 60lb 'ers and let us know how it works out for you - that is the size Nauticus suggested for my boat.

whitey224

Seaman

Did you measure the 25deg or just let them hang? I haven't put mine on yet but just holding them up to the boat they hang down a lot farther then they should. I have made a jig to hold them at 25 deg. If they are down to far that might be why you lost the top end.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I have made a jig to hold them at 25 deg. If they are down to far that might be why you lost the top end.

That is not the way they are supposed to be installed. You are supposed to allow them to hang from the bracket and then attach the actuator and find the holes for the top.According to their instructions letting them hang will be approximately 25 degrees. I think the 80 lb. actuators may be too much for this boat and that is why dhildebrand had the loss of top end...the tabs are causing the boat to plow more through the water.

whitey224

Seaman

They will hang at 25 deg if mounted on a "normal" transom. The transom on the Tahoe where we are talking about is at more of an angle then normal. I haven't installed mine yet but I taped them in place tonight. If they were mounted down by the out drive where the transom is more straight like a normal transom they will hang at 25 deg on there own but when you go out wide on the big curved part they will hang at a lot more of an angle and need to be measured. If they hang down to far they will probably not retract completely when they need to.

Q7idrvr

Seaman

That is not the way they are supposed to be installed. You are supposed to allow them to hang from the bracket and then attach the actuator and find the holes for the top.According to their instructions letting them hang will be approximately 25 degrees. I think the 80 lb. actuators may be too much for this boat and that is why dhildebrand had the loss of top end...the tabs are causing the boat to plow more through the water.

I have 2010 Q7i. When I let them hang, they were at approx 43 degrees measured from hull bottom. Greg said to not let hang naturally in that case. So I used a angle measuring tool and free hand held the braket in place to set the 25 degrees, then remassured after install. Both were at 25 degrees. I have the 60lb actuators and I too have the rooster tails. I believe this is due to the outward angle due to our transom angle. The tabs are not parallel to the water flow. Greg is sending me the 60 lb actuators. He thinks this might be due to the angle cause less water force and therefore not enough to push the actuators up. I have the 260 HP and with just me and half tank gas, I should be getting about 58-60 mph. I'm only getting about 50-52 WOT.

Q7idrvr

Seaman

Correction. installed the 60lb actuators and Greg is sending me 40 lb actuators...

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

I did the install as directed in the smart tabs instructions. I did not consider that the transom on the boat is angled inward. It probably does increase the angle. Q7idrvr, how did you chance the angle during the install? Was it via the hole you put the actuator in? Or did you change the angle you installed the bracket? If the latter is the answer, how did you do that? Same question to Whitey224.
I have been extremely impressed with Greg at Nauticus. THis is how customers should be treated!! BTW, he is sending me both the 60's and the 40's! I will send back the ones that don't work. Unfortunately, I probably won't get to thy them before our boating vacation, so I will do it at the lake we are going to, Houghton Lake, MI.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I owe my high school geometry teacher an apology. After reading the post above, I did not consider the angle of the transom.
SANY0545.JPG
As you can see, it has an inward slope in relation to the bottom of the boat. This caused my install to increase the angle from the recommended 25 degrees to over 50 degrees. No wonder I couldn't get the boat to go any faster. It was like having a drift sock behind the boat. I made a jig as stated by Whitey224 as such:
SANY0547.JPG

When held in place all I would have needed to do is mount the actuator bracket higher in order for it to hold the tab at the correct 25 degree angle. What I am goint to do at this point is wait on the lighter actuators and install them and see if it works. It not, I will have to move the top actuator bracket higher. I really hate doing that since there will be another set of holes to contend with!

whitey224

Seaman

Once again I will say that I haven't put mine on yet but I used a 2x4 cut with the 25deg like you have in your picture. I held it up with a floor jack and taped the tabs into place. I would say you are going to have to set it to the 25 deg. The actuator is being bottomed out and stopping the tab from coming out of the water. The lighter ones wont help any because they too will bottom out and leave the tab in the water. That is just my opinion.