Stolen outdrive! Can you believe it. any thought prices etc

volleybiggs

Seaman Apprentice
I go to where I store my boat and my outdrive is gone!!! I can not believe this BS. It is a mercurise V-6 Gen. Anythoughts on how much is going to cost to replace this? Also I am so sad and pissed! Never had anything stolen. Am I going to have any problem with this new outdrive?? The other one had really low hours! I AM PISSED OFF dang Thanks for letting me vent.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stolen outdrive! Can you believe it. any thought prices etc

Is your storage area insured? are you?

rickryder

Commander

I go to where I store my boat and my outdrive is gone!!! I can not believe this BS. It is a mercurise V-6 Gen. Anythoughts on how much is going to cost to replace this? Also I am so sad and pissed! Never had anything stolen. Am I going to have any problem with this new outdrive?? The other one had really low hours! I AM PISSED OFF dang Thanks for letting me vent.

x2 on the insurance..... but if not a new SEI unit is $1300 .....a new Merc...............TOO MUCH :facepalm: Sorry to hear that you got ripped off... Good Luck!

volleybiggs

Seaman Apprentice

I am insured thank god! I have to check on deduct. I doubt the storage place is. When you sign the paper work I remember them saying that they are not responsible and home owners blah blah. but I do have boat insurance.
Do yall think it is going to super suck having a different outdrive? I dont know alot about those type of things.

rickryder

Commander

Well if your insurance will cover it get the OEM drive....if you have to go out of pocket the SEI is the best buy. 3 year no questions asked warranty... I just ordered on for my boat so I can't say how it performs just yet,but the reviews here on iboats have been good.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That sucks...

If mine were stored outside it would have these on it. I know a guy who had his taken from a restaurant parking lot :eek:.

It wont stop a determined thief but will slow them down or make them look elsewhere. They also make prop locks. Just add the keys to your "go bag".

http://www.iboats.com/Stern-Drive-Locks/dm/*******.951581962--session_id.640085439--view_id.39201

Good luck! Oh and they make a kit for twin drives if you wan to put two locks on one drive. That's what i would do.

TilliamWe

Banned

I am insured thank god! I have to check on deduct. I doubt the storage place is. When you sign the paper work I remember them saying that they are not responsible and home owners blah blah. but I do have boat insurance.
Do yall think it is going to super suck having a different outdrive? I dont know alot about those type of things.

Don't even bother with an insurance claim. Just buy a brand new SEI drive right here on iboats for either $1400 or $1500 (Alpha 1 is $1400, Gen 2 is $1500) and bolt it on. You'll not know the difference between what you had and what you have now. Oh and as mentioned, 3 year warranty for EVERYTHING. Mercruiser can't even begin to compete with that.

TilliamWe

Banned

Why not ? :facepalm: :confused: My deduct is 200.00. Id sure be using it. After all that's what its for.

Because then you'll have to pay an increased premium, and risk cancellation of your policy, if you've had other claims before. $200 deductible is awfully low, too. If the OP has $500 or $1000, then we are talking about not much savings.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

That sucks...

If mine were stored outside it would have these on it. I know a guy who had his taken from a restaurant parking lot :eek:.

It wont stop a determined thief but will slow them down or make them look elsewhere. They also make prop locks. Just add the keys to your "go bag".

http://www.iboats.com/Stern-Drive-Locks/dm/*******.951581962--session_id.640085439--view_id.39201

Good luck! Oh and they make a kit for twin drives if you wan to put two locks on one drive. That's what i would do.

Yeah.

I actually put 2 of those locks on my Bravo III and one on the prop(s).

With the right tools pre-positioned, 2 guys could probably pull a drive in less than 10 min!!

Barely long enough to go into a restaurant and sit down to order!!

Not only do I NOT park my boat outside, but when I'm on the road, I don't park it at a restaurant etc where I cannot see it!

By the way, most insurance companies don't always automatically increase your premiums for "other than collision losses" unless you indicate that you're not taking any steps to prevent the loss. You might speak to them about it. That's what they're there for.

Cheers,

Rick

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Geezzz sorry to hear that...IN my quiet neighborhood its been a problem lately to...First they try to steal my neighbors 25hp outboard and failed he had some kind of outboard lock on it,, then another neighbor reported someone eyeballing my boat...Ive put up a sign at night..DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. Talking with police about it i guess marine parts are very valueable...Hmm no kiddin

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Because then you'll have to pay an increased premium, and risk cancellation of your policy, if you've had other claims before. $200 deductible is awfully low, too. If the OP has $500 or $1000, then we are talking about not much savings.

When i sat down at my agents desk, We chatted about several scenarios...

A lower deduct cost about $25.00 a year more, that's a no brainier. I figure if i need to use it it will be because someone stole the boat, the drive got ripped off from a floating log or a thief.

I got a major discount because it is stored in a locked garage. On a piece of property that they also insured.

I will however be changing companies in July as my major insurance is no longer with them, so we shall see. I may check this time with a Boat specific Company.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah.

I actually put 2 of those locks on my Bravo III and one on the prop(s).

With the right tools pre-positioned, 2 guys could probably pull a drive in less than 10 min!!

Barely long enough to go into a restaurant and sit down to order!!

Not only do I NOT park my boat outside, but when I'm on the road, I don't park it at a restaurant etc where I cannot see it!

By the way, most insurance companies don't always automatically increase your premiums for "other than collision losses" unless you indicate that you're not taking any steps to prevent the loss. You might speak to them about it. That's what they're there for.

Cheers,

Rick

Yea with an 18volt cordless impact they can get them pretty quick.

I have an 18 volt cordless cut off tool that hold those zip wheels. I lost a key to a padlock on a building and was shocked how fast it will zip through a case hardened hasp and lock.

The thieves around here use them at car dealerships and will steal catalytic converters off of a whole line of cars in a single night. They get good money for the precious metal in them at the scrap yards apparently. Scum of the earth!!!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yea with an 18volt cordless impact they can get them pretty quick.

I have an 18 volt cordless cut off tool that hold those zip wheels. I lost a key to a padlock on a building and was shocked how fast it will zip through a case hardened hasp and lock.

The thieves around here use them at car dealerships and will steal catalytic converters off of a whole line of cars in a single night. They get good money for the precious metal in them at the scrap yards apparently. Scum of the earth!!!

Yup. you're right. It's why I don't park it where I cannot see it.

2 "locks" give me more time to get out there and mitigate the situation. My Glock 36 usually operates a little faster than an 18v cut-off tool.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup. you're right. It's why I don't park it where I cannot see it.

2 "locks" give me more time to get out there and mitigate the situation. My Glock 36 usually operates a little faster than an 18v cut-off tool.

Nice...Yea I'M using the G17 as I dont practice as much as I should. My brother carries a G36 its a very easy to CC. Its on my list of things to get.