interchange?

mhcooper84

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 82 evinrude 70hp and a 87 evinrude 60hp can the coils be interchanged? or is there a spark difference?

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer
Re: interchange?

I don't know, but you could go to shop.evinrude.com and check the part number for the coils (via the parts diagrams).

mhcooper84

Seaman Apprentice

different part numbers but it says they dont have the 82 part anymore

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Oh well. It was worth a shot. I spend a lot of timing looking at those diagrams (and I have only the one Evinrude). I find them to be very enlightening.

Hopefully some of the more seasoned sages around here will have your answer.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

yes they are inter changeable you can fit them from i think round about 1972\3 on wards the only thing that you have to change is the connection side of the wires after some years they fitted plugs , cut them off or fit one if it does not have it , the amps rating have also changed a bit here & there but it will still do the job irrespective .

mhcooper84

Seaman Apprentice

oh ok I just ask because I ride around and it runs fine for about 10 mins then stop and try to restart it then it acts totally different kind of like its flooding. they say the coils maybe getting too hot

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

First things first, you need to find out if you are actually loosing spark or are having a fuel problem. You are going to have to check the spark when it stalls, if you have good spark pump the primer bulb and see if you are running out of fuel.
If you are loosing spark, go to the CDI website and look up your engine and use the trouble shooting guide to help you find your problem.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it is an ign prob you'll also need some equipment to do the testing. Start off with an open air gap spark tester which you can buy at any parts house for $8.00. Set it at 7/16 " and check your spark.