Steury 1969 V415D Deck Replacement (and more!) Help and Advice Needed!!!

SteuryKC

Recruit
Just before Christmas of 2011, my Father-In-Law passed away. He was a "Collector"! Tucked away in one of his garages, was this boat on a trailer. I swear, in the 8 years I had visited there with my Wife, I had never seen this thing.
In the whole "you can have this, and I'll have that" routine that followed, my Wife and I ended up with the boat and last week, we towed it back to Kansas City.
It was pretty obvious that the entire deck needed to be replaced, as well as nav lights, control cables, seating etc.
Of course, it would be cheaper and less hassle to just scrap the boat and buy something else, but I think deep down, my Wife really wanted something of her Father's to keep and enjoy.
So here we are. We now have the Steury in our back yard ready to start work on cutting out the deck and doing a complete replacement.
Yes, I'm handy, and I have plenty of tools and know how - but I know nothing about boats. I'm a pilot, not a boat pilot!
I need help.
I have read and read and read forum after forum, blog after blog, but so far, have not committed to purchase any materials prior to working on the vessel.
We did cut a small section out of the deck to see exactly what was going on underneath that spongy platform. Turns out, that with just a pry bar, a screwdriver and a shovel, my 13 old son and I pulled up about 3 Sq ft of decking with very little effort! It was absolutely rotten.
Underneath that plywood, the stringers are rock solid and have about 1/2" of fiberglass wrapped over them.
What do I do now? Do I still need to get all of that out and then redo everything, or can I just resin and matt the entire pieces of plywood and then glass the top over and above that?
I have attached pictures of when the boat was in the garage in Iowa. I will post pictures of exactly what I have currently, later today.
I plan on updating pictures and status every few days.
I just need some ideas and some direction on product, technique etc.
Engine is a Chrysler 70 Magnapower, not exactly sure of the year (presumably early 70's)
The engine does turn over easily by hand, so it's not seized, but the last time the boat was permitted for use was 1996!

Attachments

• IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 0

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Steury 1969 V415D Deck Replacement (and more!) Help and Advice Needed!!!

Welcome to the Dry Dock,

Well to start off, it's rare (very rare) to have a rotten deck and solid stringers, although I've seen one or two. You need to drill a few test holes in the stringers and see if the wood inside is really solid or if the wood is gone and only the fiberglass shell remains, test the transom the same way.

That is an easy boat to restore as the cap comes off easily. Let us know what you find on the stringers and we'll guide you from there.

CW

SteuryKC

Recruit

Thanks so much for your reply.
I'll drill this tonight and let you know what I find.
Here are some updated pictures of what we have done so far.

Attachments

• Deck Removal 1.jpg
    Deck Removal 1.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Deck Removal 2.jpg
    Deck Removal 2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Deck removal 3.jpg
    Deck removal 3.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Look sealed pretty well, you may be okay....that's an easy one to do.

CW

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Those could be foam molded stringers. If so you may be good to go. Like CW said, core sample the Transom and let's see what you got. It appears in one of the pics there might me a plate on the transom. Is this true? If so, this could be an indication of a weak, and rotting transom, and a Band Aid to help reinforce it.

SteuryKC

Recruit

Well, I drilled out the stringers tonight, and SURPRISE! I drilled what seemed just a few inches, and then I as the drill cut through the other side, I pulled the drill out. No wood on the drill bit, but definitely daylight on the other end of the hole!
Yep, this fiberglass on the bottom of the boat, is really fiberglass on the BOTTOM of the boat! Well, now I have two holes to fill, but it looks as though I don't need to do anything else after pulling all the current ply out. The transom really looks very solid, although I have not pulled the motor off yet. I will do that over the weekend. So, what do you all think? Should I just carry on? Here are the pics from where I drilled tonight.

SteuryKC

Recruit

pictures of drill holes, plus the area where the plywood stops against the side of the deck area.

Attachments

• 672012.jpg
    672012.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 672012 2.jpg
    672012 2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 672012 3.jpg
    672012 3.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0

Bluesmobile

Seaman

My steury's floor cracked the day after I bought it. I, very carefully, cut out the fiberglass floor around the edges with an angle grinder and did the same thing you did (scooped it out with a broom, shovel and dustpan).

Looks like a good boat ya got there.

History67

Recruit
Hello All! I too am a Steury owner, mine is a 15 foot bass boat built in the early 70's. I am about to re-deck it as well. My deck is soft and has areas with 2 and 3 layers of plywood. My intention is to remove the deck in the front half and lift it to about the top of the inwale. ( Much like Bass Trackers). For the forward half, I was going to build a 2X4 frame that would allow me to place the fuel cells in the fore, as well as a pin-pedestal seat. Any suggestions, tips or personal experiences you can share would be most appreciated! THanks!
Sean

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm guys, this thread is over a year old an only the OP is supposed to re open and post to it.

History67

Recruit
Thanks for the intel, Woodonglass. Didn't see any notice this was a closed thread. Perhaps you can kindly direct me to a suitable thread for Deck Replacement on Steury boats. This was the only thread that addressed the specific nature of my question. Thanks!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Start a Topic about yours. It won't take long to get answers specific to your boat.