Best gas additive?

wmbreck

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes I have read some posts on this. But what is the best over product to add to the gas tank to clean and maintain a motor that is running fairly well? 1992-1994 Johnson 28SPL Outboard Thanks!

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best gas additive?

Stabil makes a good marine ethanol treatment. I've been using it with every fillup since fully replacing my fuel lines about 6 months ago when they were so gunked up that I was cleaning the carbs every few months and so far no issues.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Sea Foam is a great one too. I think a lot of people overlook it as a regular additive.

jbjennings

Captain

GOod ethanol resistant fuel lines, good oil, and fresh fuel. Sea foam for decarbonizing. I like to think stabil is good but haven't really tested it. I think that may make a good science project for my son. Will report results......
Don't all the ethanol treatments pretty much work the same?

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

Don't all the ethanol treatments pretty much work the same?

What I think the OP is getting at is a fear of snake oil and fuel additives is a good place to look for that stuff ;)

It's probably just the skeptic in me but I wouldn't be surprised if many of those colorful bottles on the auto store wall did more harm than good!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Clean fresh fuel and no additives is best IMHO....Use the boat a lot so you will be forced to keep the fuel fresh, is the best policy. A stationary boat is an unhappy boat...

wmbreck

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. I bought some marine Stabil. Still intrigued by sea foam too. any reason not to try both - not mixing in the same gas of course :)

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

In all my years of tinkering with outboards, I have NEVER used stabile or sea foam. I will likely use the Sea Foam, to do a de-carb though. As far as the gas? Ahhhh, drain it out of the carb and pump new into it, when you get ready to turn the key. Any motor that is going to sit for a length of time, draing the fuel out is the best idea. In my experience, fuel in the carb a year old, hasn't done any harm. A few minutes of run time has cleaned out the old and replaced it with the new.

kbait

Commander

I run non-ethanol fuel w/no additives and have zero issues ('81 15hp). I do a 'shock' decarb my motor every couple years w/seafom, and drain carb before winter storage. My additive of choice is 2 cycle oil. I don't feel the need to spend more $$ for no real benefit.

Perhaps if non-ethanol fuel is unavailable in your area you could use ethanol treating stabil? Still don't know the benefit, besides long-term storage of fuel. Ethanol blended fuel does like to absorb water over time and leave a milky-watery sludge on the bottom of your tank, perhaps that additive would help w/that?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Boy that PRI can do most anything, kinda like the "Magic Elixers" sold in medicine shows in the 19th century. No wait, those magic elisers were snake oil....

egclassic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boy that PRI can do most anything, kinda like the "Magic Elixers" sold in medicine shows in the 19th century. No wait, those magic elisers were snake oil....

Degraded fuel is restored to freshness! LOL