I unscrewed the philips head screw on a '62 28 HP Speeditwin - now what do I do?

1up

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, I unscrewed the "holy" screw everyone writes one shouldn't, apparently the one holding the pinion bearing in place in the lower unit. But I didn't only unscrew it, I pulled the shifter lever and rotated the prop aswell. Then I fiddled with a screwdriver in the little screw hole and now I can not put the shifter in the forward position any longer.

Help on how to solve this seriously needed and much appreciated.

And all which started with a simple gear oil change.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: I unscrewed the philips head screw on a '62 28 HP Speeditwin - now what do I do?

It is the one on the very bottom of the gearcase, right? That holds the shift cradle. Put some kind of a pointed nail or awl into the hole and see if you can find the edge of the hole in the cradle. Wiggle the shifter until you can find it. Then reinstall the screw.

1up

Seaman Apprentice
Re: I unscrewed the philips head screw on a '62 28 HP Speeditwin - now what do I do?

It is the one on the very bottom of the gearcase, right? That holds the shift cradle. Put some kind of a pointed nail or awl into the hole and see if you can find the edge of the hole in the cradle. Wiggle the shifter until you can find it. Then reinstall the screw.

Thanks for the answer. I believe that screw is the one. Anyone having a cut away which show the parts that I can see through the hole? That would make it easier to understand in which state they should be in when I should insert the screw.

I did earlier today move the shift lever and prop and I got a hole to put the screw into, but then the forward shift did not work either.

Further suggestions are very welcome.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi 1up. Here's a generic pic of a typical gearcase. Chris1956 is right, you'll need to wiggle the shift rod to try to get the holes to line up again. If you can't, you'll have to drop the LU and take the gearcase apart, in which case you'll want/need to do a complete gearcase reseal job.

Lower-Units-05.jpg

1up

Seaman Apprentice

Hi 1up. Here's a generic pic of a typical gearcase. Chris1956 is right, you'll need to wiggle the shift rod to try to get the holes to line up again. If you can't, you'll have to drop the LU and take the gearcase apart, in which case you'll want/need to do a complete gearcase reseal job.

View attachment 150814

I found a pointy ended tool to pick with in my toolbox. Kinda like one of those used in knitting, but slimmer. Thanks for the reply and the illustrative picture. I'll give the picking a go tomorrow. I guess it can not do any harm to try it out.

it would be interesting to have a look inside the gear case, but sealing it back up, not so much.

I appreciate the help a lot.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

You wont do that again now will ya! :)

If you remove it, realize your error, then reinstall it is normally no problem.

Fiddling with everything like you did (no offense), will make it that much harder.

You may be able to pull it off with a small awl, may also need to stand the outboard upside down. Good luck to ya!

1up

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all help. The pivot pin was loose of the piece it connects to. It is now solved.

Next issue is how to change impeller since I can not get Lu off. Even though shift rod is digsconnected plus the eight screws.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Is the driveshaft stuck up in the powerhead?
If the lower unit dropped down a bit, then try hanging it upside down and trying to spray some PB Blaster or Kroil down the driveshaft and let gravity work on it. Don't hang it more than a couple of inches off of the ground. ;)

1up

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,
It worked well to pry it open after several attempts. Thanks to a really sturdy screwdriver.

Thanks for the help. I think it was the water tube that was stuck. I used some wd40 to loosening it up.