Engine ID help

Hoping maybe someone can help me out seems you guys are the people to ask on this kind of stuff, Ive looked threw a ton of the threads trying to find the info on my motor but cant find the year or even get close with my SN.

Mercury 1150 115 Hp (whats on the Cover)
SN on the plate states : 7105394

6cyl
3 Carbs

If anyone might be able to help me find or narrow down a year range tired of having to guess when ordering parts for this beast already causing my problems as is

Thanks again.

CHUNKS1140

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Engine ID help

Not saying your serial number is wrong but if you bought it from someone just trying to sell who knows. If you take the cover off the motor there is a part and I can't think of name of it off the top of my head but it is about the size of a quarter and silver in color on my motor also has serial number on it as well. You might wanna check yours and see if they match. If they do not you might try searching the number on that part see if pulls something up for your year motor. I tried the number you have above and could not find anything.

Ya, there are two numbers that match one on the ID tag and one on the block its self that is scribed in very faint but match's the Guy i bought the boat from was a friend of mine who got it from his father So i know he aint trying to pull a fast one on me went to hell and back with this guy in Afghan he had the same problem after his father passed away the bill of sale from MO which at that time had to have the SN on the boat and engine match's and this is almost 20 something years old.

CHUNKS1140

Seaman Apprentice

That is good then they match. I think Mercury motors serial numbers are 8 numbers and have at least one letter in them. I am not 100 percent for sure on that and not rying to smart mouth you or anything just trying to help some. You might have to call Merc themselves. I almost bought a used Evinrude and ran into same thing I tried to search serial number and could not find any parts. Once I called Evinrude they told me it was a commerical motor said anything made of plastic or that kinda thing was made of aluminum on commerical motors but they were able to cross a number over for a different motor that parts would work for it as well.

Oh sorry Chunk if i came across square, Not meaning anything by it my typing skills are not the best so sorry if i expressed my self poorly on last reply, ya I think your right might have to call them maybe they can help me narrow down to a year range at least side note was just reading it might be a Canadian motor SN grouping not sure if that's true but ill sure post back what i find in case someone else runs into this problem ive seen You-tube videos of my engine i mean right down to the same nicks lol thought it was mine and those put it between like a 77-80 not sure tho.

Thanks and if anyone finds something out before me ill be reading forums all day until i ether A blow my motor up trying to fix it or B fix and find the problems im having lol.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

1-t848819-500.jpg

Maybe it is a Canadian serial number for a 1977 Merc 1150? The american versions of that motor had blue stripes as in the picture. I hope you can see it..

carholme

Rear Admiral

brokensoldier;

That s/n is a Canadian built engine with the s/n beginning with a 7 and comes up as:

115 1977 ELPT 4567952 - 4855152 7087423

The year 1977 begins with s/n 7087423 which is lower than your. The year 1978 begins with 7112248 which is higher than yours, therefore yours is a 1977.

From here:

http://www.maxrules.com/models/Merc_model_files/115-150.html

Parts listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/463.cfm

Service Manual P/N: 90-86134--4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-92-Bru...CI%2BUA%2BFICS&otn=20&pmod=270798272372&ps=50

Or in the interim, here is a link to the condensed version of the Clymer manual which will help you get started. Let the page load for several seconds and then download soonest to your computer as the link is short lived.

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?sid=4fdf17bf-77f2-4c6b-8878-8ddd873e51ba@sessionmgr13&vid=4&hid=7

Gerry

That is the magic number ive been looking for 1977 thanks a Ton for all the help researching this guys/gals. Now i can move forward on to the big problem of getting it to run right thanks!