changing to closed cooling system

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I have some questions about closed cooling systems. I currently have a open (raw water) system on a 5.0L OMC Cobra. The first question I have is do I really need a closed system. I primarily use my boat in fresh water but next summer I will be using it in salt water approx 8 times. Each time will be for partial to full day and then I will put it back on the trailer and flush it with fresh water. If this warrants the use of a closed system then how hard and how expensive is it to convert over? Thanks for the help. KEP

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: changing to closed cooling system

You can get a good system for around $500-$600.<br />It probably isn't necessary but it sure is nice to know your block won't freeze in winter and makes winterizing a snap. A handy-man can install on in an afternoon if you have the tools and some knowledge of mechanicals. I wouldn't have a boat without it. If you have an Alpha 1 with V8 merc you will have to install a raw water pump as the outdrive will not supply suficient water to cool the engine.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Use it and run it on fresh when your done. Zero need for the expense.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You don't say how old it is but...If it is Omc, changing it to a closed system is a waste of money at this point....Flush it out after each use & go boating.... :) ....JK

JKEP44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help everybody. I read some posts on related searches that say the same. thanks again, kep.