270 outdrive milkshake...

triplehooked

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I just picked up an 84 Bayliner Capri with the 4 cylinder Volvo and the 270 outdrive. Upon changing the outdrive fluid I drained about 2 cups of water out before getting any oil...:facepalm: I put new 30 wt oil into it and decided to try a test run before digging any further into the obvious leak. Well, the prop was spinning on the hub, so all I was able to do was idle around the lake for an hour (long enough to make sure it doesn't sink!) and put her back on the trailer. The prop was replaced for me free of charge by the previous owner, so no worries there. But I checked the outdrive oil and it is now a milkshake after only an hour run at an idle. The engine runs great and the boat is perfect for the family. My question is how do I find out where the leak is at? I read somewhere about the seal at the shift rod under the front cover is a common problem, but how do you know? If it was an external leak, no problem... :rolleyes: Should I just throw seals at it until it no longer leaks? I don't want to toast my bearings in the process. I know very little about outdrives but I was a heavy equipment mechanic for ten years, so most mechanical things are not an issue. I'm just wondering what the common problem areas are on this outdrive.

Thanks a bunch,
Travis

captmello

Captain
Re: 270 outdrive milkshake...

you need to pressure test the outdrive. 15 psi.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The Captain is right, you'll need to pressure test the drive to find the leak(s). After the leaks are fixed, it'll take several oil changes to get rid of all of the milkiness. Here's the procedure:

View attachment drive pressure test.pdf

Some people make their own pressure tester but there is one on ebay that I use:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdrive-Lower-Unit-Leak-Tester-OMC-Mercruiser-Outboards-Pressure-Vac-/280889283970?hash=item41664e5582&item=280889283970&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr

I test mine at the end of the season every year. I don't like the idea of the lower bearings sitting in water all winter if there did happen to be a leak during the summer.

triplehooked

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick responses, folks. I replaced the o rings in the drain and dipstick plugs as they were about three sizes too big. Maybe that will do the trick, but I doubt it. Although it does look as though the PO hadn't changed the out drive oil in quite a while judging by how old the fluid was when I got it. The oil might be milky from residual H2O, but I'll give it another fluid change and a short test run before getting a pressure tester. It looks as if I could use my compression tester on one end and a pump on the other.... But where in the world do I find fittings that small?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most people just get one of those gear lube pumps sold at any marine store or wally world to pump gear lube into their drives, then use the fitting on the pressure tester. Try to find one with the metal end, not plastic.