Taking on Water at High Speed

BettyEvans

Recruit
I have a 1997 Cajun Fish and Ski, we took it out this past weekend just for a ride. We noticed that at high speed we were taking on water in the ski holding area. This did not happen if we were just puttin along. :confused: Any ideas where to start looking??? My husband got the bright idea to take a garden hose and fill the boat with water to see if it ran out any where.. It did NOT.. Please help

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Taking on Water at High Speed

I have a 1997 Cajun Fish and Ski, we took it out this past weekend just for a ride. We noticed that at high speed we were taking on water in the ski holding area. This did not happen if we were just puttin along. :confused: Any ideas where to start looking??? My husband got the bright idea to take a garden hose and fill the boat with water to see if it ran out any where.. It did NOT.. Please help
ur husbands idea was a good one do u hqave any live wells on the boat

Alumarine

Captain

High speed leaks often come in at the rub rail near the rear of the boat.
When up on plain look at the rear outsides of the boat to see where the rub rail is getting sprayed.
Oh, and welcome!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Not a good idea to fill a boat with water to find a leak.

You will soak the flotation and possibly get water into places where it will never drain. This creates a trapped moisture problem which can cause wood to rot.

Based on all of the boats I have seen, the pictures here on iboats and the amount of restorations........ trust me there are wood places not sealed from moisture.

I would suspect the live well hoses and fittings if equipped and water coming in under the rub rail. Those are the common problems when it leaks.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not a good idea to fill a boat with water to find a leak.

You will soak the flotation and possibly get water into places where it will never drain. This creates a trapped moisture problem which can cause wood to rot.

Based on all of the boats I have seen, the pictures here on iboats and the amount of restorations........ trust me there are wood places not sealed from moisture.

I would suspect the live well hoses and fittings if equipped and water coming in under the rub rail. Those are the common problems when it leaks.
just been readin an seen a lot of post that say do that to find leaks sorry if that info was incorrect

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

just been readin an seen a lot of post that say do that to find leaks sorry if that info was incorrect

You are kind of correct, sort of... first, you never want to 'fill' a boat! You will destroy the boat and trailer. With that said, it is a common technique in metal boats to find leaking welds or rivets. Generally you will never do it in a glass boat, as the usual leak points are much higher, too high to safely fill with a hose.