1984 Johnson 35 - Do I need two batteries for lights + a fish finder?

crmaverick

Cadet
Hey guys so I'm wondering if my motor (84 johnson 35 electric start) re-charges my battery?

The boat currently has two batteries (one dedicated to starting the motor only) the other is wired for: (A fish finder, original bow and stern lights + the original spot light).

Do I need this second battery? Could I disconnect the leads going to the second battery and connect everything to one battery? This would be 2 positive wires and 2 negative running to the same battery?

Thanks,

Chris

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1984 Johnson 35 - Do I need two batteries for lights + a fish finder?

What is your model number?
If your engine came from the factory with electric start, it probably has a charging system on it.
If you are just using a depth finder and running lights, you should be OK with one battery.

crmaverick

Cadet

It did come with electric start from the factory, I'm not sure of the model number off hand. Is it alright for me to run 4 wires to one battery? Or could I bridge the two batteries and have the alternator charge both batteries?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

What 4 wires, you should have the two battery cables and the wires for your finder and lights.
You could hook up your batteries in parallel(?) and the engine would charge both.
You should check your charging system to make sure it is working properly.

crmaverick

Cadet

Yeah I meant the two battery cables, and the two wires for the lights and finder. Would all of those be ok hooked up to the same battery? I'm no good with electrics, but to hook the batteries up into parallel would I just run wires positive to positive and negative to negative from one battery to the other?

Thanks