Problems with 89 force 85 hp outboard please help

nemesisdeville

Recruit
We have a 1989 bayliner capri with a 1989 force 85 hp outboard. We have only had it for a month, but it seemed under powered. Im only getting a gps speed of 26 mph. I took the boat to a mechanic to get things checked after changing the plugs didnt help. The mechanic says were getting water in our 2nd cylinder. The plugs I changed weren't clean so this is a recent issue. I was told it was either a head gasket or a cracked block. I was also told that if it wasn't a head gasket the boat was done for. My questions are 1: if it is a head gasket how hard is it to replace. 2: do I spend the 200.oo or so to have it done. 3. if it turns out to not be the gasket will the boat still run? I hate to even break in to it, as atleast now we have a boat, its not fast but it will pull a tube and navigate around the lake. This is our first boat and Im very depresssed that we may be without a boat soon. Any information would be greatly appreciated. thank you

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Problems with 89 force 85 hp outboard please help

If it is just a head gasket, and he will do it for $200, go for it. Totally worth it if you aren't savvy or experienced enough to do it yourself. If it is a cracked block, then no, you do not want to continue to run the motor. You will do further damage. Cheer up mate!! We all have issues on here. I find running 50-90hp motors on CL all the time for 3-500 dollars. Worst case scenario at this point is you need a different motor. No biggie. The boat is not done for. It floats right? The trailer pulls it right? So may just need to re-power.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Don't think I've seen a cracked block.
Water is usually a gasket.
$40 gasket and a tourqe wrench.Maybe a green scouring pad.
Then go for it.
But be real careful removing the head bolts.
They don't come out easy,then ask for more help.J

sutor623

Rear Admiral

They don't come out easy,then ask for more help.J

Do not discount this statement nemesis!! And like you said, he'll do it for $200. $200 well spent if you dont have experience with a torch an impact gun, and a basic understanding of what could go wrong here. I hope Jerry is right about the gasket.....

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Depending on how much fuel, people, prop pitch, tilt /trim position, and water logged foam under the floor you have, the 26 may be about right. I now have an 89 85hp on the boat in my avatar. It has a 15 pitch prop, hauls 2 adults and one kid, 12 gallons of fuel, plus 2 coolers at a steady 27mph gps. When I unload the boat it does 30. When I put the 17 pitch on with just me it pulls 32-34mph depending on water conditions. That said, I don't trust marina mechanics as they all seem to hate Force motors. I bet he said it wasn't worth it to fix, and suggested a repower to a Johnson, mercury, or evinrude right?

The fact that you stated your plugs were dirty upon removal rules out water in the cylinder in my opinion. If there was water getting in to #2, the plug would have been steam cleaned, and you would have seen droplets on the plug itself when you changed them. I think you need to start with the general tuning and maintenance stuff first. Read the FAQ sticky's on the link and sync procedure, and complete it. Make sure you have clean fresh 50:1 mix fuel. If that doesn't wake it up a bit, you will need to check timing and spark.

I know it sounds complicated, but if you can jump start a car, or change your oil you can do this. Plus the Capri is a fun little boat despite the reputation, it would be a shame to let it go.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Cracked block?? Not likely.
Headgasket?? Possible.
Run your motor and then pull number 2 again and check the plug. If its super clean with water droplets then its a head gasket.
If none then its a desperate mech.
Your mph does sound about right though and you may just need a smaller pitched prop. What pitch is on it now?
A 15 pitch may be the ticket for you motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The 16 ft Bayliner came stock with an 85 and the prop was a 17 or a 19
It came out of the box doing almost 40.
I know cause I rigged about a hundred of these.
Drove 1 to the Annapolis in water boat show.Fast.
Aint no body gonna buy a speed boat that only does 25
That's not fast enough to pull a skier.

nemesisdeville

Recruit

The 16 ft Bayliner came stock with an 85 and the prop was a 17 or a 19
It came out of the box doing almost 40.
I know cause I rigged about a hundred of these.
Drove 1 to the Annapolis in water boat show.Fast.
Aint no body gonna buy a speed boat that only does 25
That's not fast enough to pull a skier.

That s what we thought, thus the begining of the problem. I called the mechanic last night and told him to do the gasket. He said he would have to make sure he could get one. He is also the one that stated there was water blowing out of cylinder 2 when the plug was removed.Like I previously stated I didn't notice a clean plug when I changed them. The had some rust on the exterior and all 3 seemed dirty. But after the plug change it started right up but had a definated miss when w put it in the water. Hopefully he can find the gasket, I found one online. And hopefully this solves the problem, my daughter is not happy with the boat being broken. Thank You guys for all the help, its definately been helpful

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Cool man. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Jiggz

Captain

It would have been great if at least you conducted a compression check of the engine. That will verify the initial diagnosis of your mechanic. And a compression tester costs less than $30! Not only will that give you a tool for the future, you will also gain some knowledge on basic engine testing which I believe is the initial reason you came to this forum in the first place. For this forum to validate your mechanic's diagnosis without citing any test results is like asking political opinions.

tater76

You didn't say which Capri you have. Is it the heavy cuddy? 14, 16 footer?

If its not the head gasket it will be an exhaust gasket. If in fact the mechanic is telling you the truth. They are much cheaper than the head gasket, but harder to replace.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Don't believe they made a 14 cuddy.
All 16's up to 89 came with 85.
Then they went to 17ft 90hp(I think)
Head gaskets are ALL over.
If it is the gasket,your very lucky.
Possable more problems= cracked head,scored piston,broken rings etc.
But this motor is VERY fixable.
Sent U a pm,J

Fill out the profile,location,you might be close to someone who can help.

tater76

Guess I should have been more clear. I meant is it a cuddy, or an open bow 14ft, 16ft, etc. Capri's came in many different shapes, sizes, and weights.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yea they made lot's of Capri's.
Starting at 14 and going through 24.
The made them with 50-150hp Force depending on size.They also came with Volvo I/O's and OMC Cobra's Then Mercruiser and Mercury OB
14's came with the 50hp

nemesisdeville

Recruit

Its a 17 foot open bow. I did have the mechanic go ahead with the repair. Said he pulled everything apart and couldn't find any visible cracks, however the head gasket was shot. He also stated the head was warped so he is having it resurfaced. If everything goes as planned should be completed by next weds. What other repairs should I request while its torn down to that point? As I said before I have zero knowledge, just want to make sure I cover all my bases. I really appreciate all of the posts and information that I have received. Thanks alot

nemesisdeville

Recruit

I also was curious about the prop, What size is best for a 17 foor with 85 hp? Also I have power tilt/trim but would it be wise to get a hydro foil or smart tabs? just curious

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Get us some WOT gps reading and RPMs after the repair and we can talk about props. Im super-stoked for you that it is such an easy fix. You and your family will be back on the water soon! And for a head gasket repair there is nothing else really accessible to do "while your in there". Just have him slap a new gasket, resurface, and call it a day.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Get the waterpump rebuilt.
That way you know it's good.
Change gear oil.
Replace the fuel pump diaphram.
Install a filter between the carb and the pump.Wally World.G-2 or G12 depending on hose size.