Upon accererating in gear motor dies

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class
92 Mercruiser 5.0 w/ Alpha Gen II. Got the timing set and tightened distributor down. Hooked up to the hose and in nuetral ran like a dream. Put it into gear but did not run it to hard, did not note RPM's. Took it out in the water today for a bit and reved it in neutral at the ramp and ran like a pro. Headed out on the water and if I remember correctly at around 4k RPM I would conk out. No problems restarting and can maintain a liesurely pace at about 2000 RPM's I think it was, but that was about it. A great improvment from before, but if anyone can give me some advice as to what to do, and where to look next as always I would greatly appreciated. This site has been very invaluable to me and saved me so much money and tought me so much since I started out not knowing much more than what an engine is...

Thanks again,
Eric

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Upon accererating in gear motor dies

Check and make sure your shift cable is adjusted correctly. It may be out of adjustment and tripping the shift assist, thus killing the engine.

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't know much about that but seems like a good time learn. Thanks for the advice. :D

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Sounds to me like it aint gettin enough fuel at the higher RPMs.... have you checked your fuel filter at the inlet to the carb, and the fuel/water separator? What's the history on the carb? due for cleaning?

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im 1000% sure the carb needs a good cleaning. I did replace the water/fuel separator. Bigger fish to fry now though, I have gear oil coming out of my water intake, so I'm going for the drive now, I'll figure the rest out later. I just bought the boat and it definitely was not well taken care of, but it was only $800 with the trailer and it's a 92 20' Bayliner Capri open bow, so I think it was worth it. Thanks for all the replies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When you get back to this issue...how old is the gas in the boat? if you don't know, drain all of it and start with fresh.

If you can run in gear at 2000RPM, its not going to be your shift switch. Its definitely fuel related and some sort of lean condition is occurring form either, bad fuel, clogged filters, gummed up carb or weak fuel pump.

Dieter

Seaman

I had the same problem. I changed my fuel water seperator and pumped out all the gas and cleaned the tank. Ran like a charm next time. Hope you get it going.

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did drain the tank and put fresh gas in. It definitely was running better than at first I guess once the good gas made its way through. I guess I suspect the fuel pump maybe, but I think I'll clean the carb first. I just have to finish getting the lower half of the drive back together and on tomorrow