Solution Confirmation: Outdrive wont pull off (VolvoPenta SX / DP-S1)

Franky4Boats

Cadet
After trying every way to get the outdrive to slide off, I finally got a mechanic to come out. He quickly said there is only one way to get it to seperate. Remove the pivot housing bolts and hoses, take the whole thing back to the shop, turn it upside down, fill it with oil so it will not melt the orings and seals when we torch it. He seemed to have utter confidence that this will work and is the only way. He said the volvo have this problem and its common.

My question is will this work, I need this boat back in the water ASAP?

Has anyone ever seen this approach?

Should I be concearned?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Solution Confirmation: Outdrive wont pull off (VolvoPenta SX / DP-S1)

Unfortunately, it's very common but shouldn't be. It's due to lack of annual maintenance and improper installation procedures.
What happens is corrosion builds up between the studs from the pivot housing and the upper housing and over the years it's almost impossible to get them apart. Especially if used in salt water.
The drive should be pulled at least yearly to grease the coupler splines, this is usually enough to prevent them from becoming one. Volvo also says to use gasket sealer on the studs (grease also works) which prevents corrosion from building up.

I have also used the torch to heat the housing around the studs and drive the pivot housing off.