Can I tap into an existing constant power wire?

mistertwister87

Seaman Apprentice
I have a courtesy light in the bow panel on a switch. The power for this comes from the fuse panel. Since I only have limited tab terminals on my fuse panel, I am using one of these.piggyback.jpg On this piggyback terminal I have the Nav lights and the courtesy light. So in essence they are both on the same fuse panel terminal (4Amp). Now I want to install a livewell light with a on/off switch in the same bow panel. Can I "tap into" the existing constant power run I made for the courtesy light to power my livewell light? Also can I use the same ground on the voltage gauge that is in the bow panel as well?

Thank you

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can I tap into an existing constant power wire?

As long as you don't overload the amperage rating of the fuse, that will work fine.

mistertwister87

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you Don! I also have both of my trolling motor batteries (24 V) up front too. If I run an inline fuse, would it be better to tap into these? The livewell light will only be used sparingly so it won't draw down the battery. Would this be a better option or should I stick with my original plan?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Stick with putting the light on a fused circuit, not tapping into a 24V system and making the batteries look like a porcupine and leaving you wondering what hooks where in the future when you take the batteries out for the winter and forget what hooks up where.