Alpha One outdrive removal

mike456

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm a first time I/O owner of a 1992 5.7L Mercruiser with Alpha One outdrive. I finished winterizing and am considering removal of the outdrive to store it inside. I have no idea when (or even if) the last time it was removed was. I understand it needs to come off periodically for lubing. Everything I read says its not a big deal. Put it in forward, disconnect speedo cable, remove 6 nuts that hold it on and it should slide off. Is it really that easy? I understand that installation is a bit more complicated but still not a big issue for someone who is reasonably mechanically inclined. I may consider changing the impeller (as a winter project in the basement). Is that a big deal? Everything ran great this year. I don't want to screw up a good thing but realize that 13 years is pretty old and I don't know what maintenance has been done. Advice and words of encouragement are appreciated

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha One outdrive removal

Yep, it's that easy....Except you will have to remove (or at least loosen) the trim cylinders. Be nice to the pin that holds them on....Use a mallet on it if it wont move.....If the drive won't come out after what's been described above......Lift it & put a piece of wood between it...You'll be able to figure where to put it.... & (And slam it down).....The whole operation is easy if you have some tools & some mechanical aptitude.....You might want to think about gettin some manuals if you are gonna keep it awhile.. ;) ..You can find some info. on line at mercstuff/howdoi?.com..Post back if you get stuck....Good Luck! :) ..JK

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just so you know, you have an Alpha I Gen II, not just an Alpha I.<br />There are differences, but not in how the come off or go back on.<br />Here is a link to the online Mercruiser OEM service manual.<br />Just run your cursor over the cover and index page to find the links to other sections.<br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14cover.pdf

mike456

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Don S. Thanks for the info. I do have a Clymer manual for my I/O. I would love to have access to the Mercury manual. The link you sent gets me to a 2 page pfd but I can't get beyond that. Is it something I need to buy access to?

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by mike456:<br /> Hello Don S. Thanks for the info. I do have a Clymer manual for my I/O. I would love to have access to the Mercury manual. The link you sent gets me to a 2 page pfd but I can't get beyond that. Is it something I need to buy access to?
Hover over the red squares, chapter headings, etc. and it will take you to the appropriate links. When your cursor changes to a hand/finger, you know the link will work.

Don S

Once you click on those red squares, it may take a while to load, some of the sections are very large files. Section 2 for example is 3/4 of a Meg in size.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Once you take it off, look at how the shift stuff works and you'll understand why it needs to be in forward gear. But, yes, take of the bolt that holds the trim cylinders to the outdrive, take off the 6 nuts and it will come right off.

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don S I am using your link right now and saved it too! Helpfull stuff, Thanks :)

mike456

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To Don S. <br />must be my system but your link gets me to 2 page cover pdf and when i click on the "main menu" red box I get an Adobe message specifying "can not open file" and when I click the large "Sterndrive units" box I get a message stating "specified file 14notice.pdf does not exsist". It seems that only the 2 page cover is loading. I love the internet but hate this kind of stuff. Oh well, thanks for trying.

Don S

Don't click on main menu.<br /><br />First<br />
1-Cover.png
<br /><br />Then when the index comes up.<br />
1-Index.png

jamesr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You may need to load Adobe onto your PC.