Stainless Steel Wire Disconnected, Problems?

redrancherrider

Recruit
I have a 2001 Honda 90 HP outboard motor that I just got back from the shop. They removed the motor from the pontoon boat and replaced the lower portion of the motor. I noticed the stainless steel wire on the lower unit was not reconnected. After 2 1/2 hrs on the lake, my trim/tilt motor quit working. When I got the boat back on the trailer, I noticed a lot of corrosion on the lower unit of the motor and on the new aluminum prop that was just put on. When I touched the stainless wire to the area that it was supposed to be connected to, it sparked. While we were standing in the water, my wife said she was getting a slight shock when she touched the boat with her arm.

I asked the boat dealership mechanic that worked on the motor about the wire being disconnected and was told that it was not that important, it was there in case the boat battery was connected backwards, the small stainless wire would act as a fuse. Sounded like BS to me but I'm not sure.

Could this wire being disconnected be the cause of the corrosion and the tilt/trim motor not working?

Thanks for any assistance,
Jimmy

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stainless Steel Wire Disconnected, Problems?

Get another mechanic. As you've found out, it is used to safely remove galvanic voltages and help prevent the subsequent corrosion and shock hazards that can be a result of their presence.

redrancherrider

Recruit

Just as I suspected. Could this have caused the problem with my trim/tilt motor?

redrancherrider

Recruit

I tracked down the cause of the problem. The wire going from the battery to the socket for the trolling motor was shorting against the boat frame. The current was returning to the battery through the lower unit of the motor, causing the corrosion. I fixed the shorted wire and eliminated the arcing issue. As for the tilt/trim motor, power is getting to the motor but the motor is not working. It looks like I will be replacing the tilt/trim motor.