Solar Battery Maintainer - Use while trolling

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a sib and like to spend long days on the water, when I can. Some of that time is spent trolling, and some, still fishing. Only occasionally does my battery get low on juice toward the end of the day but that's something I'd like to avoid if it can be done relatively cheaply, easily and without adding weight.

I have seen some relatively inexpensive solar Battery Maintainers/Chargers that claim to be usable for trolling with electric motors. I know they only add charge slowly, thus the 'maintenance'. Questions:

1. Over 5-10 hours on water could my battery life be extended significantly (~20%), assuming an average sunny day, using such a charger (e.g. 12V, 6 watt, 300mAh)?

2. Could it be left on (attached and working) while using the motor?

3. Would any of this damage the battery? (I know charging too slowly can cause damage and at home I'd continue to charge normally, but this would be vs. no charging at all, on the water.)

All thoughts, suggestions and advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Solar Battery Maintainer - Use while trolling

I have a sib and like to spend long days on the water, when I can. Some of that time is spent trolling, and some, still fishing. Only occasionally does my battery get low on juice toward the end of the day but that's something I'd like to avoid if it can be done relatively cheaply, easily and without adding weight.

I have seen some relatively inexpensive solar Battery Maintainers/Chargers that claim to be usable for trolling with electric motors. I know they only add charge slowly, thus the 'maintenance'. Questions:

1. Over 5-10 hours on water could my battery life be extended significantly (~20%), assuming an average sunny day, using such a charger (e.g. 12V, 6 watt, 300mAh)?

2. Could it be left on (attached and working) while using the motor?

3. Would any of this damage the battery? (I know charging too slowly can cause damage and at home I'd continue to charge normally, but this would be vs. no charging at all, on the water.)

All thoughts, suggestions and advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

There is NO chance that it can add any sufficient run time to your battery. Sorry about that, but it just can't happen. They claim 300mAh? That number makes no sense. The charger should be rated in mA, not mAh. In any case, that 6 watt number implies 500mA. That is an incredibly optimistic number. Plus your motor will draw on an average closer to 30 amps when running. So 1 hour of charging might give you at most 1 minute of running time even if it supplies 500mA. (I very much doubt that it does supply 500mA.)

TerryMSU

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

to extend your trolling time, add another trolling motor battery. charge them both with a decent charger when you get back to the dock.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's called a battery maintainer because it produces just enough power to overcome the internal losses in a battery and keep it from going dead by sitting there doing nothing. It is not adding any charge and it will not recharge a dead battery.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

to extend your trolling time, add another trolling motor battery. charge them both with a decent charger when you get back to the dock.

Agreed. If I dont want more weight in the boat, I just keep the extra battery in the truck. I mainly fish inland lakes, so I just keep a backup in the vehicle.