On the Water Marina sells 10% Ethanol Fuel

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This isn't really a question just something I thought was odd at the marina I slip my boat in (new there this year). They have on water gasoline that is 10% ethanol, I assumed almost all marina fuel would be ethanol free... and you still have to pay the high premium price of gas on the water... booo :mad:

Philster

Captain
Re: On the Water Marina sells 10% Ethanol Fuel

I've seen ethanol-free fuel at the fuel docks, but it was always offered as an option to the standard E10 that was there. The fuel dock is a bidness, so they be wanting to offer the less-expensive E10 and not just ethanol-free stuff.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If your boat has a water separating fuel filter and the fuel system components have been upgraded with ethanol tolerant parts use E10. If your boat has a fuel system that has been neglected for years then E10 will clean up the mess for you and dump the contents in the filters and carbs if any sneaks through. But then you would likely have an issue down the road anyway so E10 just speeds the process. If you have a newer boat, use a fuel system treatment, use E10 and go boating. E10 is not the devil fuel uninformed folks and underhanded shops tend to make it.

robert graham

Admiral

I've been using the 10% Ethanol gas for years with no problems at all. Fuel/water separating fuel filter, some Stabil or Seafoam, and you should be good to go. Double-check your filters for the first few tanks of 10% Ethanol fuel to try and determine of any debris, deposits, fuel lines, gaskets, etc. are being broken loose. Not a bad idea to drain carbs a few times per year, just to ensure no trash or water accumulating in float chamber. Good Luck!;)

ccave04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea I have been using a Stabil Ethanol treatment I just thought that gassing up at the fuel dock I could stop using it... not the end of the world I just assumed they may have this option.

You know what happens when you assume :)

Thalasso

Commander

This isn't really a question just something I thought was odd at the marina I slip my boat in (new there this year). They have on water gasoline that is 10% ethanol, I assumed almost all marina fuel would be ethanol free... and you still have to pay the high premium price of gas on the water... booo :mad:

It depends on the state laws. In Pa all gas is E10 no matter where you get it. Mandated by law.Most marinas add ValveTech.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Around here, I think, the ethanol-free gas is the exception at marinas, especially those in the cities. I haven't surveyed it, but it seems when I hear on local forums about ethanol-free fuel, it's out in the country. That may be a function of regulations; I know that gasoline sold in urban areas has different standards (re additives, etc) and thus, in part, the price difference.

I suspect that marina gas costs more not because of the ethanol but the facilities, plus the supply/demand "only game in town" factor. After all, a gas dock is purely a convenience, and you have to pay for convenience.

I avoid marina fuel b/c it's more likely to have water in it than what I buy at a relatively new gas station. I also pay for the inconvenience of hauling red jugs around with the price difference. Meanwhile I'm in a hunt/fish club adn we get the local oil company to keep a 500 gallon tank supplied with ethanol-free; it's expensive but convenient (our place is 10 minute car drive one way from gas stations) and helps because the motors there are not used as frequently as at home. And we still use stabilizers anyway.