1965 evinrude 9.5 hp wont run after replacing the shift lever

swaymeyer

Cadet
i just replaced the shift lever and now motor won't run but for a couple of seconds after spraying starting fluid. not sure if there is some kind of linkage i disconected. thanks for any help.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1965 evinrude 9.5 hp wont run after replacing the shift lever

Did you take the carb off to install the shifter? If you did, take a look at the throttle cam. It is possible the cam roller isn't where it should be. Watch the throttle cam as you turn the throttle handle. The throttle rod needs to be on the carb side of the roller.

swaymeyer

Cadet

Did you take the carb off to install the shifter? If you did, take a look at the throttle cam. It is possible the cam roller isn't where it should be. Watch the throttle cam as you turn the throttle handle. The throttle rod needs to be on the carb side of the roller.

that all looks good. when i pulled the carb off there wasn't very much fuel in the bowl. only about 1/4 deep. i am wondering if the float is sticking.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Totally possible. It's a very easy carb to clean and re-build so, check it out.

swaymeyer

Cadet

Totally possible. It's a very easy carb to clean and re-build so, check it out.

Well I was able to get started but won't remain running so I pulled off the carb and found the bowl empty. So I put gas in again an tried to start and won't start so I squeeze the primer bulb and fuel came out of a couple of holes on the carb. There is a hole that lines up with the main in feed hole I think it should be plug and their is another open hole up in the area of the choke flap see attch photo. Is there any diagrams for what should be plugged. Also if they need to be plug where would I get the plugs. Thanks for any help

Also need a starting point for the lean/Rich adjustment if I turn all the way in how many turns out to start. Thanks

Attachments

• carburetor 2.jpg
    carburetor 2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

swaymeyer

Cadet

Can anybody give him some help with my previous post, not sure if this is a vent hole or a plug came out. When i started the engine fuel was pumping out pretty hard. Also after removing the needle valve to clean i am unsure of where i a good starting point would be.

thanks,

Steve

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Did you clean and re-build the carb yet?

swaymeyer

Cadet

no, is there a rebuild kit for this engine. if not what would i need to rebuild

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Iboats doesn't seem to have the kit for your carb, but www.marineengine.com should have one. It sounds to me like your carb is dirty and needs a good cleaning with new gaskets and a new float. That stuff should all be included in the kit, but sometimes you need to buy a new float seperatly. When you re-build it and get it back on the motor, turn the low speed needle valve clockwise until it seats, then back it out 1 and 1/2 turns (counterclockwise). That's the starting point but may need some fine tuning when the motor is running.

swaymeyer

Cadet

ok, i will rebuilt the carb but that one hole where the fuel is coming out is that supposed to be plugged. it was pumping out pretty good, i am pointing at it in the photo

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Sway, I don't see the photo.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

I don't believe it should be plugged. I'm suspecting there is some crud in the float valve seat that's not letting the float valve close and open correctly.