New Boat People: need help!

Lck7960

Cadet
We have found a 2005 Sea Ray 185 Sport that seems to be in good condition. Owner says garage kept, have a 4.3 merc with 108 current hours (currently used on weekends), Bimini top and snap on covers. Asking $14,550 OBO. Is this a good price? I don't think it has any thrills to it but we want to get a good deal and not waste money. We are wanting a boat to cruise around, ski, maybe wakeboard. I don't know the horsepower yet but we have a 22 year old and a 26 year old so we need some power. Would this be a good first boat?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New Boat People: need help!

My buddy just bought a 06 with a 3.0l. It had 130 hours on it and he paid $14900. It came with a nice painted single axle trailer with brakes. I thought it was a bit overpriced, but once I saw the boat it was like brand new and even with the 3.0l it wasnt bad on the water. We had 3 fat guys in it and stayed in the back, nobody in the bow, and it planed quickly, and with it trimmed up we were able to achieve about 40mph according to GPS. I was impressed, and my boat has a fuel injected V8 in a 23ft boat. Apparently the 185 and the 190 has the same hull, just a differant layout. At least according to the Sea Ray dealer it is. He did some tubing on Saturday and he says it did fine.

Is it at a dealer? His was, and came with a year full warranty. They detailed it and fixed any little quirks and did a complete service on it, like oil, outdrive oil, etc. The boat was absolutely mint when he took delivery.

According to NADA, not knowing if it has any options, with a bow and cockpit cover and bimini, it shows to be worth an average retail of $14100, and low retail of about $13400. If it is not a dealer, I would say its worth closer to the lower number. There is no add for the 4.3l, but you will not be dissapointed in the power. It is not a huge boat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Sea Trial.

And mechanical inspection and/or survey by a pro. That price point definitely supports spending a few hundred to make sure everything is sound. Particularly for a first boat and first-time buyer.

IMO, the 4.3 on that size boat is gonna push it along very nicely. good luck!

Lck7960

Cadet

Thank you!

My buddy just bought a 06 with a 3.0l. It had 130 hours on it and he paid $14900. It came with a nice painted single axle trailer with brakes. I thought it was a bit overpriced, but once I saw the boat it was like brand new and even with the 3.0l it wasnt bad on the water. We had 3 fat guys in it and stayed in the back, nobody in the bow, and it planed quickly, and with it trimmed up we were able to achieve about 40mph according to GPS. I was impressed, and my boat has a fuel injected V8 in a 23ft boat. Apparently the 185 and the 190 has the same hull, just a differant layout. At least according to the Sea Ray dealer it is. He did some tubing on Saturday and he says it did fine.

Is it at a dealer? His was, and came with a year full warranty. They detailed it and fixed any little quirks and did a complete service on it, like oil, outdrive oil, etc. The boat was absolutely mint when he took delivery.

According to NADA, not knowing if it has any options, with a bow and cockpit cover and bimini, it shows to be worth an average retail of $14100, and low retail of about $13400. If it is not a dealer, I would say its worth closer to the lower number. There is no add for the 4.3l, but you will not be dissapointed in the power. It is not a huge boat.[/QUOTE]

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Like everyone else said though, if you know nothing about them, get it checked out, and never buy a boat without a sea trial. I have done it in the past and been lucky, but have heard some horror stories here.