Swim platform brackets set up

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
I have brackets L shaped out of aluminum meant to be used at the transom attachment point plus the SS struts from the edge of the platform to the transom. BUT this wooden platform will sit a distance from the transom due to the transom shape, about 5" at the furthest point left and right on the platform. The existing L shape is 4" where it attaches to the platform. They were made for a transom that is straight, whereas my boat has a slight V shape to the transom. I think the transom attachment is a 12 degree more than 90 deg angle.

My question is this-
Can I modify the existing L brackets by attaching a length of heavy gauge aluminum where the platform will sit therefore lengthening them or how difficult would it be to make up a new bracket out of bar stock to the exact dimensions that I need? I have never worked with stock aluminum before.

I am not sure if there is a minimum length for the bracket on the transom side and on the platform side for my 17" x 74" teak platform>? I have seen the triangular shaped brackets in 6x12 and 7x14" so what is the recommended size for my 17x74 platform?
If I had to buy the triangle bracket I would buy the 7x14 ones I think.
Thanks.
Joe

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Swim platform brackets set up

Anybody with some experience fabricating brackets?

bgc

Ensign

Joe,
I would make a rig to hold the platform where you want it. Take the angle, length, and height measurements. Weld one up and test fit it. I

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Making the brackets would depend on the shape but it sounds like a simple L and thats easy, but I would call the manufacture and ask about it due to exteding it out past the lenght of the existing ones it may not be strong enough and see if they make some that will work.
With out pictures and good bit more info its hard to say and if its all brand new and so on.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Here is the almost finished project: two L brackets and struts which I had already, purchased two of the triangular brackets for the outer ends of the platform. It was pretty labor intensive because the room to work on the inside of the transom was so cramped. I only made one "extra hole" in the transom too, which is easily fixed :)
I found a supplier online who was about half price of all the others for SS triangle shaped brackets.

Today I will install the new 3 step ladder and we are good to put her back in the lake.

Joe

Attachments

• deckonCapri.jpg
    deckonCapri.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 0

bgc

Ensign

Nice! The wood platform are still a great look even on a glass boat.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. I always liked the look of the teak too.
What an improvement this will be for boarding and as we get older, much easier than the OEM single step small platform Bayliner used.

Joe