What length Bimini top

mippel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,
I have a 18' 3" boat, and i am thinking about getting a bimini so my wife and daughter can enjoy it a little more. The question is what size. I need to get one that is 54" tall so i can walk under it (i am 6' 8"). Also there is more cabin room then bow area. So i am leaning towards a 8'. But does anyone have pictures of a 8 footer on a 18 - 19 foot boat? Here is what i have to work with:
2012-05-21122952.jpg

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated. Of course budget is an issue, but i just want the family to enjoy it a little bit better. I did find one on ebay for under 200 with the support poles included. Thanks in advance.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What length Bimini top

Hey mippel - yeah adding a bimini will greatly enhance your time on the water. Once I got one I wonder how I did without. Fitting them I discovered is a series of tradeoffs. Like you, mine is high enough to stand under - a must in my book. What that does, however is significanly increase the areas that you will find sun streaming in from the side. It's kind of amazing that in later afternoon light sometimes the shade is actually beside your boat, and not under it - lol :facepalm:

Anyway, the other issue as you pointed out is length. You want to cover as much of the cockpit as possible but keep in mind that climbing in and out of the boat, working with towables and ropes, etc. becomes more cumbersome the further back the top and side supports go. The start point of the leading edge is a factor as well. Mine actually overhangs the winshield rail a bit in order to provide some (admittedly miniscule) protection from the rain if I'm standing up driving.

Anyway, for our 17 foot boat, our top is only about five feet long - which in hindsight is a bit short. Perfect for the front seats but, unless the sun is in front of the boat, the rear seats still are fully exposed. Still love it though. And of course, get one made of top quality material. My Sunbrella top is I think about 15 years old as it was used on a previous boat. Stilll looks brand new.

Good luck!

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What length Bimini top

I had an 8 foot on a 21 foot boat and it was perfect. IMO bigger is better applies