Evinrude 70 HP running issues.

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi

My 1983 Evinrude 70 has not been run for about 3 years. I have managed to get it breathing but its running very erratic.
The warn up lever seems to make no difference whatever position its in. The only way I can keep it running is to turn the little red lever on the primer solenoid, when I put it back to the running position it just dies out even when its running like that its very erratic.
I am assuming the carbs need a clean and have started that today, I have just been for some more cleaner. I thought I would ask on here before I get back to work.

Daz

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Evinrude 70 HP running issues.

Do the basic checks; spark, compression, fuel. From what you describe, a thorough carb cleaning and rebuild is probably in order including a link-n-synch. You are gonna need more than just carb cleaner. Get a full carb kit so you can replace the gaskets, needle valve, and core plug. Make sure you clean out the jets as well as the passages under the core plug. While you are at it, you might probably want to drop the lower unit and replace the impeller.
There is a thread under the Top Secret folder that details awakening an outboard. That would be your guideline to getting your outboard running.

Rgds

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Carbs back together ok. Idles as good as it ever did. But now I have a buzzer pulsing and the battery is boiling over 16.3 volts going to it anyone any ideas.
Its looking like next weeks boating is off :(

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you got a new (fully charged) battery on board? Modern (maintenence-free) car batteries do not operate well with the old rectifier-only charging systems. It's pretty common for this combination to rise the voltage to 16V and higher. The old style batteries were able to sink 6A without overvoltage, you only had to refill some water to the battery cells once in a while.
So what happens to the voltage when you add an electric load, the position lights (bulb type, no LEDs) for instance? I saved a complete boating season with it. This year I added a regulator.
Your motor hasn't got a VRO, so the only source for a buzzer sound is the overtemp switch, the buzzer itself, and the wiring (tan wire). What about the buzzer before you reach 16V on the battery? Is it quiet then? Does it sound continuously when you short the tan wire to ground (simulating overtemp)?

dazid1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was under the impression that vro was the oil tank and oil pump system, what is it then? my mistake. Its an old battery with vent caps but it is fully charged. I dont have any lights or any other instruments on it only the starter.

Daz