Stupid Question...

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well after all the work i did fixing up my first boat, it came time to license it and get it out on the water. I live in Onatario Canada and I have never done this before, so i contacted the man that i bought it off of to get some advise, and thats when he told me that he never licensed the boat in his name, so the bill of sale that i got from him would probably be no good for getting it licensed.

So i started looking up things i could do to get it licensed, and i came across this form http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/marinesafety/declaration-eng.pdf

So i decided to go this route to get it done, but i was a little confused on what exactly the Hull Serial Number was. Thats where my some-what stupid question comes into play. From my understanding, after 1972, every boat had its hull serial number stamped on the back of the transom. My boat just happens to be from 1966, so i wasnt sure where the number would be.

I noticed that i have a metal plate at the back of my boat (not quite on the transom) that says the HP rating and capasity and what not. It also has 2 different numbers on it that im hoping one of them is the hull serial number i need for my declaration. The two numbers are DOT114173 and there is another number below it that is stamped differently the the rest of the plate that says 36110.

So my question is does anyone here know if one of these numbers would be the hull number that i need?

any help would be appreciated.. and thanks in advance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Stupid Question...

your boat wont have a HIN being a '66

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stupid Question...

36110 sounds like it would be a serial number, but why not cover your bases and put both numbers on the form.

You really can't go wrong by being all inclusive and forthcoming with the information.

DOT114173-36110

That looks all official and everything. :)