Prop or Lower unit issue- 75 135hp Evinrude Silver Starflight (FIRST POST NEED HELP)

75RUDE135

Cadet
:confused:

So I own a 1975 135hp Evinrude Silver Starflight on a solid fish and ski tri hull boat that I completely rebuilt the stringers, redesigned/reupolstered, and recompartmentalized the interior..that was the bulk of the work (also did a lot of transom saver work). I bought the boat because my dad had this motor, and in its day it was top notch and I dont think it will ever die if I take care of it. The motor starts on a dime and compression is optimum. New starter and plugs. It sounds amaizing and idles great.

But I have two problems that basically render it useless.

So I took it out for the first time (i've been working on it for about a year). This is what i found

1) The big issue is that, although when i run it with the muffs on, the prop spins (and spins fast when i rev it up) and their is no unusual sound, I put it in the lake, put it into gear, push the throttle forward (which does increase the spead of the turn of the prop), and It litterally doesnt move the boat. Same issue in reverse. The boat took on no un-natural amount water by the way. I tried triming it every which way, but it did nothing. I noticed a faint noise..that sounded like a stripped gear or someting but i couldnt say thats the case. So I'm thinking it could be a gear in the lower unit, or its something with the prop. I sould note that the prop is a little rough, but its nothing that would keep the boat from moving an inch, although i do need to replace it so it will perform properly. And I have an embarrasing confession to make that I know could have possibly caused the problem.. to try and straighten out the prop, i took a hammer to it and tried to straighten it out witout taking it off. (I was in a pissy, stupid mood that day).

So does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be, or questions to narrow it down?

2) I had someone put new stearing in, and they put it in backwards.. turning it left turns it right, and vice versa. Its all cabled old school style. Is it as simple as swaping out the cables under the console, or is it something I need to do where the cables hook up to the engine? I was hoping i could take some pics and maybe someone could give me an idea of what I need to do. The a##hole who did it has closed down shop and i cant find him.

I've already sunk way too much into this boat, and thse repair shops around lake lewisville just dont seem to want to put quality work into an older boat.

Guys, anyhing will help. I need your expertise. I'm learning.

MOTOR:
SERIAL # J0001350
MODEL# 1-35589-E

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Prop or Lower unit issue- 75 135hp Evinrude Silver Starflight (FIRST POST NEED HE

1) If you put the boat in gear, not running and on the trailer, can you spin the prop or does it try to turn the engine over in either forward or reverse? Is there ant metal particles in the lower unit oil?
2) The cable is wrapped the wrong direction on the steering hub, you are going to have to remove the cable from the hub and wind it in the other direction. I would be careful with that much horsepower on an old style cable steering system.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Prop or Lower unit issue- 75 135hp Evinrude Silver Starflight (FIRST POST NEED HE

That is hydro-mechanical gearcase. It does require Type C gearcase oil, even though it is not an electric shift.
Try disconnecting the shift cable and shifting the lever on the motor by hand.
The motor needs to be running to shift.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a badly spun prop hub or internal probs in the gear case. On that mtr it doesn't have to be running to shift. It just shifts a little harder.

75RUDE135

Cadet

1) If you put the boat in gear, not running and on the trailer, can you spin the prop or does it try to turn the engine over in either forward or reverse? Is there ant metal particles in the lower unit oil?
2) The cable is wrapped the wrong direction on the steering hub, you are going to have to remove the cable from the hub and wind it in the other direction. I would be careful with that much horsepower on an old style cable steering system.

Great idea! I will try this when I get home.

75RUDE135

Cadet

PROP CHOICE QUESTION!

Thank you everyone for your advice on the troubleshooting.. I'll do it all this evening and see If i nail the issue down.

I ordered a new prop and hub last night, because I need one regardless if its a gear box issue or just a spun hub. I was worried about the pitch and deliberated quite a bit on this..but I found 2 threads with 2 guys that had the same motor, and the same motor, load, and size/type boat..they all went with a 13 - 3/10 x 17. It seemed like a good middle of the road prop. Because my meters dont work i cant really study the RPM's so its a shot in the dark.

I have the original service manual, and the original parts manual, and it suggested a 13x19 SST.. but I think my boat needs a little bit bigger diameter and less pitch. I guess I'll find out. I just hope it doesnt strain motor.

Does anyone think this prop choice on a pretty light 17" foot tri hull that will run with roughly 600pds of passengers (3.5 adults) and maybe pull a tube with one or two kids on occasion? Remember I do have the front and back of my transom re-enforced with 1/2, if not a little more, steel plate that I primed and painted. I can probably cancle my order if you guys think I went wrong on the prop.

MOTOR:
SERIAL # J0001350
MODEL# 1-35589-E:confused:

75RUDE135

Cadet

Sounds like a badly spun prop hub or internal probs in the gear case. On that mtr it doesn't have to be running to shift. It just shifts a little harder.

Thanks, so does everyone agree that it doesnt have to run to shift? I dont think it does either but Im def no expert.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you spin the prop while shifting it, it will shift easier.

75RUDE135

Cadet

Daiet, do you think this prop would be a good fit for that motor? Pretty light 17ft tri hull with a walk through and a fishing stool on front and back..so probably be riding with probably 3.5 adults..maybe 600pds and occasionaly pulling a few kids on a tube.

I have the owner manual and part manual and it recomends 13x19 SS but i figured 13-3/10x17 would be a happy medium since my gauges are out and cant find my RPM. Read a lot of threads and a 17inch pitch seemed to be the consensus and iboats prop finder also recomended it.

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Evinrude/135_HP_(1973-1976)_17.00-Pitch_RUBEX_3_9411-133-17_Propeller/85/20322/?*******=765774737

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It's awfully hard to determine the correct prop size without trying a few different sizes on your boat.
Is there a marina in your area that has loaner props, we used to have several sizes to try on different rigs to get the proper size. Do you have any friends that run a boat that you might be able to borrow a different size prop?

75RUDE135

Cadet

Yes thats the advice I've been given offline also. Unfortunately no, kina going at this alone. None of my friends are dumb enough to sink their money into a project like this. lol. But hey, its fun.

So I tried the step 1 you gave me in your first thread reply. When putting it in forward gear, the prop spins forward and reverse, with no resistance an no sound. However, when in reverse gear, it will not turn to the left (reverse), but will turn right (forward). When it turns forward (right), it seams like a gear is moving because it stops after each turn, then you turn it again, it stops, and so on. So even to a boating newbie, it sounds like bad news. I didnt check the gear lube because I have to use a pnumonic torched tool so i dont strip the skrews/plugs and its dark out. I have checked it before, and i didnt notice any flaking, but i wasnt really looking. It was very dark though, almost black...

So.. i feel like im going to have to face my greatest fear..some degree of lower unit repair..possibly total lowar unit repair. Is that fear pretty reasonable or am i jumping the gun? Give it to me straight, i can take it. hahah

And thanks again, your help is invaluable.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you haven't done this, take the shift cable off of the mtr and shift it manually at the mtr and see what happens.

75RUDE135

Cadet

If you haven't done this, take the shift cable off of the mtr and shift it manually at the mtr and see what happens.

Ok, thanks boobie, I will look at the manual and try that out. Sounds like it would definately tell me something.

75RUDE135

Cadet

Its a good thing i bought the repair manual and parts catalog off ebay for this motor..otherwise I wouldnt know what the heck to do. Actually some pretty good instructions and graphics. Still a little nervous about taking it on myself... I thought I had a pretty solid collection of tools and power tools, but im going to need some stuff with more power so i dont strip these screws, etc. The manual shows u how to remove the lower unit, so i went to see if it had been removed before.. sure enough it looks like its been taken off at some point. Dunno if thats a good or bad thing but I guess I'll find out.

75RUDE135

Cadet

Ok, I'm nearing the sell it and give up point.. but I'm too OCD for that probably. I'm so close to the boat being perfect! Recap of the problem. Compression is awesome, seems to shift very well, new gear case lube. The old lube was definately old...black as night, but no metal on the magnet (just some shiny dust when I whipe it off on a towel.. metal dust smaller than the head of pin. New Solaris Rubex propellor and greased it up good(so not a spun hub).I adjusted the timing as the orginal manual said. I've been on the lake with it twice since my last tread. Thank god I have a trolling motor.. lol.

Both times before I hit the lake, I put the muffs on, i push the button and it starts and idles great. I shift into forrward gear.. the prop spins in the correct direction, and as i increase the spead the prop also increases spead. It spins FAST. Same in reverse.

I get it in the lake. I start it up..starts up nice, sounds great.. Put it in drive and all I get is splashing and bubling watter from the prop spinning. If I bring it up to where the prop is half way visible, its spinning like any other boat i've seen spin..throwing a lot of water up in the air but not in a completely rear spray.. kind of up and a little out. The boat doesnt move. If I do this in reverse, it splashes (significantly to where it worried me I'd take on water. I have a video of this, I need to get it from a buddy and I'll post it.

One thing I noticed. If I put it in reverse, full throttle down... I hear some clicking. So i did that no more.

So how is it even possible that if the thing is shifting, spinning very fast, that the dang boat wont move!? :mad:lol. Its killing me guys. The boat is light..17 foot and I can pick the front of the trailor myself and move it.

I look at this diagram.. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...35589E&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Gearcase

same as in original owner manual and part manual. And I dont see a shear pin.. is their any other kind of safety piece possibly? And would my prop spin like it does it is in safe mode?

I am thinking maybe the timing needs to be adjusted because over time the motors timing specs have just changed? Does anyone know how to easily do that without just checking each grove and starting it up and trying each one? And I guess i just need to take the lowe unit off..find something on youtube on how to do it and check all the gears and see if they all look ok?

Any Ideas? Guys If you can solve this over forum, you are a boating mechanic god! And I will worship you! haha. But really, pleeeeease help. Its going to drive me nuts. I want to catch some dang fish!! The trolling motor isnt going to cut it. lol

deville

Seaman Apprentice

Have you figured it out yet? I have the exact same motor w/ the exact same problem. While researching I found your thread in the search. I'm not hijacking, just piggybacking LOL

75RUDE135

Cadet

Have you figured it out yet? I have the exact same motor w/ the exact same problem. While researching I found your thread in the search. I'm not hijacking, just piggybacking LOL

Man, I wish.. I hate that boat now as I've worked so hard on it and it seems to work perfetly but wont move! I did some research and a couple of local boat guys said it sounded like a "broken Chlutch Dog" I ordered an OEM chlutch dog.. its just a small rod, maybe an inch long and smaller than your pinky. Its just too hot in texas right now to take the lower unit off and all that right now.

I think that rod is a fail safe and it might have broken, their fore not allowing the torqe I need. But thats a stab in the dark. I'm detrmined to get this fixed but it prob wont be ready untill late fall.

I have the origian owners manual and repair manual for the motor. If you wanted I could get it copied at kinkos and you could just pay for postage and the cost to make the copy. I've found it very valuable for other issues and identifiying parts..but you can find the part schematic on iboats.

IF YOU FIGURE IT OUT BEFORE I DO.. leme know!!! I'll do the same for you. Are you in Texas?

deville

Seaman Apprentice

No prob. I found an old man who is suppoedly a guru when it comes to older O/Bs. I'm gonna take my rig to him this weekend as he workbs out of his backyard shop. I'm in central Arkansas but not that far away from y'all. Ill let you know what I find out. Lemme know what the ship on the manual will be.

deville

Seaman Apprentice

Its the clutch dog. Bent or broken, it will allow the prop to spin but will not allow enough torque to the prop to cause serious lower end damage. Mine was twisted into a pretzel. Had to be caused by a prop strike. That would explain the large side dent on the end of my prop. Give it a shot and see what happens. I think you will be pleasantly supprised. Now my question is.....where did you buy your clutch dog???? I can't seem to find one. Hope this helps

deville

Seaman Apprentice

BTW, I was wrong about the make and model. Mine is a '76 135 seahorse. Essentialy the same motor as yours minus the color scheme, impeller and pump, and thermostat-from what I can gather- I may be wrong and if anyone knows better I would like to find out for my own knowledge, parts interchange and such. Be mindfull of the square exhaust seal in front of the water pump. Mine disentegrated in my hand when I pulled it out. Now if I can find one, I can reassemble and test splash. Good luck