Considering purchase: 1975 14' Springbok with 1975 Merc Thunderbolt 50hp

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Considering purchase: 1975 14' Springbok with 1975 Merc Thunderbolt 50hp

in my opinion that motor is too old for a beginner; it's more for a collector or one who likes tinkering with vintage stuff. Sure there are lots of old motors on the water but the are run by guys who are good at fixing.

I have a 1972 Merc and it has had some mysterious problems. It's very hard to find anyone today who can--and will--work on them for a price that makes sense for the value of the motor. For example to get someone to replace the water pump, clean the carbs, and replace the frayed wires up in the cowl (yes they are) you will spend $700, on the $500 motor.

there are a lot of basic starter boats cheap out there for that price; I'm going to place that one in the collector's category.

That's assuming the hull is good, but aluminum hulls are a safer bet than fiberglass of that vintage.

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

in my opinion that motor is too old for a beginner; it's more for a collector or one who likes tinkering with vintage stuff. Sure there are lots of old motors on the water but the are run by guys who are good at fixing.

I have a 1972 Merc and it has had some mysterious problems. It's very hard to find anyone today who can--and will--work on them for a price that makes sense for the value of the motor. For example to get someone to replace the water pump, clean the carbs, and replace the frayed wires up in the cowl (yes they are) you will spend $700, on the $500 motor.

there are a lot of basic starter boats cheap out there for that price; I'm going to place that one in the collector's category.

That's assuming the hull is good, but aluminum hulls are a safer bet than fiberglass of that vintage.

Hey thanks for the response. Sounds like some good advice (and probably what I knew already), just looking for something cheap and in that style... But I realize you get what you pay for. Was also thinking I'd be able to do the work myself, have rebuilt an old motorcycle before and maintained others so know my way around carbs and such.... but then there's the whole finding the time thing.

What vintage/make of motor should I be looking at for something more reliable (without breaking the bank)?

Thanks

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard!

What kinda' budget do you have? And what do you want to do most of the time (fish/ski/cruise/etc)?

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome aboard!

What kinda' budget do you have? And what do you want to do most of the time (fish/ski/cruise/etc)?

Budget is slim, as little as possible would be ideal lol. Been looking in the $1500-2000 range but it doesn't seem to get you much here.

I do a bit of skiing/tubing (but used to do that on my uncles 30hp Johnson/aluminum boat lol), probably mostly cruising with a bit of fishing mixed in. Was thinking 50hp was kind of the sweet spot for power/fuel use?

I was toying with the idea of a used jet boat, small seadoo or other clone, but have read some not so nice things about the jet drives and the motors in those so thought it better to go this route.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

look for a 16' trihull or tinnie* with a 50-70 HP OMC from the mid-eighties. EZ boat, EZ motor, EZ price.

Part of my advice was because it's a merc, not an OMC. They're just spooky.

*16' starcraft dual console, mid 70's

southkogs

Staff member

look for a 16' trihull or tinnie* with a 50-70 HP OMC from the mid-eighties. EZ boat, EZ motor, EZ price.
HC's right on ... it's out there somewhere. Wait for your pitch!

Gryph

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey thanks for the advice guys, I always thought Merc was one of the good names in motors (just because I see so many I guess). OMC is the way to go eh?