Putty colored goop coming from outdrive

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Get one issue fixed and on to a new one, but I guess that is what you get when you buy an $800 boat that you no nothing of the history on it. I just started it up with the muffs on it after getting the timing set and a few other things. I have a 92 mercruiser 5.0 with a Alpha One Gen 2 outdrive, outdrive SN# is 00668470. I went to take the hose off of it and noticed the putty colored goop slightly thicker than pancake batter coming out from behind the drive, looks like from somewhere between the two rubber boots. Last week I changed the gear oil and used the greenish blue high performance one, got a grease gun and greased the three nipples on the drive. I have a feeling this is something obvious but being fairly new to working on boats, especially outdrives, I am not sure where to start. Thanks as always in advance for any and all thoughts and replied on this issue...

Eric

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Putty colored goop coming from outdrive

Have you removed the outdrive yet to check the condition of the bellows, gimbal bearing etc? If not, you should. It may answer some of the questions. The goop could be nothing more than excess grease you pumped into the various fittings.

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,
I have not done anything with the drive as of yet other than the greasing I mentioned. I guess I'm a bit nervouse to do that but I will at some point, just afrais of what I might find and then how to fix it, but it is definitely on my very soon to do list. I am hoping that it is what you said it might be.

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well I saw gear oil coming out of the water intake vents so I bought an upper and lower outdrive seal kit as well as the impeller kit and have the lower half off so far and will get to more of it tomorrow. I hope I dont screw this up

cr2k

Captain

A leak there (water intake) is often just the seal under the water pump. Pull the lower or the drive and split the lower off, if you see no other signs of oil it is the seal under the impeller. Seal Carrier MCM PN 821759A2 Sierra Supply (NAPA) PN 18-2354. It just pulls up and out. Lube the O-ring so it goes in without catching/cutting.

mega6490

Cadet

Sounds like your upper seals went, spilling gear oil into the driveshaft bellows.