1989 E-Rude 6hp primer?

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice
I'm working on this 6HP motor for a friend. Got it running after re-gapping the spark plugs. One plug must have been dropped, it had no gap at all.

I notice that there's no choke. It looks like it's a fuel primer system instead. I'm guessing that pulling the primer all the way out shoots a charge of fuel to the intake manifold. All the way in is the run position. What does it do when it's half way out??? I don't have the owners manual and the owner thought it was a choke.

Thanks.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 E-Rude 6hp primer?

It is a choke / primer combination. There should be a red ring on the shaft, if it's visible the choke is on. when pushed in all the way (snaps in) it is in the normal run position.

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. But, I don't see how it's a choke also. The is no linkage to the carburetor. It's just a pump next to the carburetor. There's a hose supplying fuel to the pump from the bottom of the carburetor and a smaller hose running to just behind the top of the carb to the intake manifold. There are no other connections to the carb.?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The primer injects fuel directly into the intake manifold behind the carb.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the reply. But, I don't see how it's a choke also. The is no linkage to the carburetor. It's just a pump next to the carburetor. There's a hose supplying fuel to the pump from the bottom of the carburetor and a smaller hose running to just behind the top of the carb to the intake manifold. There are no other connections to the carb.?

I suppose it is more specifically a primer / enrichener. Does your motor have a decal beside the primer switch that shows the 3 different position functions? If not I can take a picture of mine and post it for your reference.