intermittent ignition problem

steinjo

Seaman Apprentice
1996 Mercruiser 454 EFI MAG Engine serial: 0F802536

The engine turns over fine every time but having a starting issue. Only once in a while in turning the key will the buzzer come on letting me know that I have a complete connection and the engine starts. When I turn key and buzzer comes on gauges react properly and starts and runs fine. When turning over and buzzer doesn't come on the gauges don't move and engine won't start. Just keeps cranking.

Problem at first was extremely intermittent. Now it's becoming more and more frequent. Just have to keep turning key until I get a solid connection and it starts.

Something new happened yesterday where I would be running on the lake and all of a sudden the engine quits. Only happened a few times and it quit at varying speeds (30mph, 60mph). Definitely electrical as I've just overhauled complete fuel delivery system. Worried that one of these times it won't start as I'm sitting on the lake. Yet alone having to shift my Bravo One into neutral when engine isn't running in order to restart.

It's the original key ignition switch. Could it be as simple as replacing my key ignition and kill switch components? And if so, how do I know which one to order? It's in a Baja. Thanks

32Outlaw

Cadet
Re: intermittent ignition problem

1996 Mercruiser 454 EFI MAG Engine serial: 0F802536

The engine turns over fine every time but having a starting issue. Only once in a while in turning the key will the buzzer come on letting me know that I have a complete connection and the engine starts. When I turn key and buzzer comes on gauges react properly and starts and runs fine. When turning over and buzzer doesn't come on the gauges don't move and engine won't start. Just keeps cranking.

Problem at first was extremely intermittent. Now it's becoming more and more frequent. Just have to keep turning key until I get a solid connection and it starts.

Something new happened yesterday where I would be running on the lake and all of a sudden the engine quits. Only happened a few times and it quit at varying speeds (30mph, 60mph). Definitely electrical as I've just overhauled complete fuel delivery system. Worried that one of these times it won't start as I'm sitting on the lake. Yet alone having to shift my Bravo One into neutral when engine isn't running in order to restart.

It's the original key ignition switch. Could it be as simple as replacing my key ignition and kill switch components? And if so, how do I know which one to order? It's in a Baja. Thanks

I have the same thing going on with the port engine in my 32 Baja. 454 Mag carbed though, not EFI. I have checked fuel system and 99% sure that is not the problem. The problem started and the buzzer would go off until I got out of idle (up to about 2k rpm) then buzzer would stop. All fluid levels are good. Just yesterday the port engine quit at about 30 mph on takeoff and now it will crank and crank but not start... no turnover at all. I have had electrical issues in the past so I believe this is the issue, any ideas where to start and how to test through the system?

Please help, don't want to be on land with the summer months here!

Thanks!