Volvo Penta 5.7L GL-A No Power to Fuel Pump While Cranking

John N.

Cadet
I have a 2002 Wellcraft 2600 Martinique with a Volvo 5.7L GL-A. The engine is carbureted and has a electronic fuel pump. The problem is that it does not get power to the pump while the engine is cranking. The fuel pump was tested and is confirmed to run and the pump runs fine when I jumper the green wire from the L2 terminal on the alternator to the +12v post on the alternator. I used this to start the boat and measured the L2 terminal to read 14.4v once the engine is running. I then hooked the green wire back onto the L2 terminal and the engine runs fine. This leads me to believe it is the "start-by-pass" circuit as there is no power getting to the pump while the engine is cranking but gets power from the alternator and runs fine while the engine is already under power. Does the power for the fuel pump during the cranking cycle come from the alternator or starter? Are there any relays that can be checked? What are some tests I can due to track down if there is a fault in the "start-by-pass" circuit? I have also read from these forum that the oil pressure switch can shut down power to the pump. The boat has been in storage for the past 2 years. Is there a way the oil pressure switch got stuck or seized up and is not letting power through during the cranking cycle because it thinks the oil pressure is insufficient? Any help diagnosing this problem would be appreciated.

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7L GL-A No Power to Fuel Pump While Cranking

There is a relay involved, I bet Don S will be by shortly. In the meantime search this Volvo topic area and you will probably find the exact diagram and troubleshooting steps to take, this is a common fail item.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

May be the diode between the yellow/red and orange wire has failed. Remove the fuel pump relay and with your meter check between terminals 85 and 86 while cranking the engine. You should show 10+ volts while cranking.

attachment.php

John N.

Cadet

Thank you for the reply I will continue looking through the forums.

John N.

Cadet

Thank you Don S. I will try to see if I get power across the terminals while cranking.

John N.

Cadet

Measured no voltage across the terminals while cranking. About where in the engine harness is the diode located? Will be checking that next along with the ignition.

Don S

Have no idea where it's located, you will just have to start at the relay and open up the harness until you find it.

John N.

Cadet

Thanks for all the help, but the issue seems to have resolved itself. Went to go measure power across terminals 85 and 86 again after checking the ignition and she started right up. Put the relay back in and everythings working just fine now. Could the diode have just been stuck and broken itself free after a while? Will see if this lasts but if not I will carry a piece of jumper wire with me so as not to get stuck out on the water.

Don S

Could the diode have just been stuck and broken itself free after a while?

No. but a loose or corroded connection could.

John N.

Cadet

I did clean the relay and ignition with contact cleaner and a small file and put some dielectric grease in them. Maybe it was just a bad contact somewhere. Glad I did that before cutting into the harness.