Stalls on acceleration

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi again,
92 mercruiser 5.0 305 idles fine, when I accelerate it cuts out. The timing is set, and I have replaced the oil pressure switch as suggested. Any suggestions on where to look or check now?

Thanks,
Eric

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stalls on acceleration

Carbed aplication? Accel pump delivering a fuel shot? If you apply throttle very very very slowly out of gear, will rpms increase? How about in gear. Could be general tune up stuff, or carb. Investigate and report!

cr2k

Captain

How would the oil pressure sw. affect the acceleration?
With the engine OFF remove the flame arrestor Have someone advance the throttle while you look down the carb throat. Do you see a solid stream of gas flow into the carb? If not you need a carb rebuild as the accelerator pump is bad. Common problem.

udm328is

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. The only reason I did the oil pressure switch is that it was suggested to me on here that if it was bad it could cut off the fuel pump. Also keep in mind that I am a learn as you go Google/iBoats mechanic so not always on the mark with understanding everything, but I am getting there. I went back out just now and re set my timing, seems I was off a bit, think I might not have tightened the screw down tight enough on the distributor. I also happen to notice that the fuel line right into the carb was dripping fuel ever so slightly and I tightened it and it seems not to be leaking. I fired her up and so far in neutral I had her running steady at 2500 to 3000 rpm's and she did not cut out on me like before. I have not tried in gear yet, crossing fingers. Just bought the boat last month from a guy that I am certain knew a whole lot less that I do about boats and boat maintanence if anything at all, so I am just doing my best to get her back into good working order without braking the bank too bad.

Thanks again,
Eric