Mounting a Trolling Motor

elvhus

Recruit
I have a 1991 Sea Ray 170 I/O with a molded in swim step.

I want install a trolling motor bracket for a 5 - 10 horse outboard. I'm not sure how the swim platform is constructed. Is there wood underneath the fiberglass?

I was thinking of drilling holes into the top of the platform and installing 6 or so stainless threaded inserts with epoxy. I would then use bolts in the inserts to install the L shaped bracket onto the step.

The other option is to drill all the way through the plaform and use stainless bolts.

Are there any Sea Ray experts out there?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Mounting a Trolling Motor

I do not believe you should install the motor onto the swimstep. You need an extendible kicker bracket.

elvhus

Recruit

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I have heard many times on here that it is just discouraged against. The deck is not made to "push" the boat. I think they make a special extendible bracket for boats with swim decks. The link to the picture is bad.

elvhus

Recruit

Swim Step.jpg
I have heard many times on here that it is just discouraged against. The deck is not made to "push" the boat. I think they make a special extendible bracket for boats with swim decks. The link to the picture is bad.

I understand and thanks.
FYI. I attached a picture of the swim step. It looks fairly sturdy for a small motor....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

View attachment 150324

I understand and thanks.
FYI. I attached a picture of the swim step. It looks fairly sturdy for a small motor....

For the most part, I wouldn't have an issue putting a small motor on a swim platform. They are strong enough to hold 3 or 4 adults standing on it, the amount of thrust off a little 6hp motor is pretty small in comparison. On yours in particular, I wouldn't think twice about it, not a problem. Just seal it all up well, don't want water finding its way in through that.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

How about a 24 volt bow mount trolling motor? That way all you would have is a small flat quick release bracket bolted to the bow of your boat if you removed the trolling motor. yes you need to find a home for 2 big deep cycle batteries but depending on what type of trolling your going to do it migh be an advantage. With the bow mount (Minnkota in particular) you can run your trolling motor from any part of the boat with the foot petal on an 18' cord, or better yet what I have is the co-pilot, a remote control about 1/2 the size of a flip phone cell phone that mounts you your rod. Then you can be anywhere in the boat, no cords, no extra controls.
I have a 18ft Lund Tyee with a 4.3L V-6, probably 2500lbs with fuel. I use the biggest Minnkota 12 volt ( I think 65 lb thrust) and it does pretty well for what I do. If I were to go out on some of the bigger lakes in Minnesota and pull Rapalas over the big flats my set up probably wouldn't work too well. If I bumped to a 24 volt system I could probably do that.

elvhus

Recruit

For the most part, I wouldn't have an issue putting a small motor on a swim platform. They are strong enough to hold 3 or 4 adults standing on it, the amount of thrust off a little 6hp motor is pretty small in comparison. On yours in particular, I wouldn't think twice about it, not a problem. Just seal it all up well, don't want water finding its way in through that.

Thanks.
Any recommendation on drilling all the way through the step vs. 2 inch threaded inserts epoxied into the deck?
I don't know what's under the fiberglass, wood or ??

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Thanks.
Any recommendation on drilling all the way through the step vs. 2 inch threaded inserts epoxied into the deck?
I don't know what's under the fiberglass, wood or ??

You will have to contort yourself into a pretzel, but you should be able to see that area. I've work on a nearly identical bayliner hull, and there is no wood in there, but fairly beefy fiberglass. I'd probably just bolt a mounting plate on with large washers on the inside to distribute the load, and call it good. (that is assuming you can get to the area and get a nut on it, or at least get a bolt/washer on the inside.)