2000 Evinrude 225 tries to start, but immediatly shuts down after it catches. HELP

BillR302

Cadet
2000 Evinrude 225 E225FCXSS #G04856130

Recent history:
Just got my EMM back from DFI Tech. I was having the 3 lights error and they fixed it right up. The overheat sensor was causing it to not start/turn over (i.e. - dead). Put upgraded EMM back in and it ran great! (it also ran great before EMM sent off to DFI)

Today I ran about 30 miles just fine, then the motor shut off like someone turning key off. No warning lights either. Boat equipped with twins, starboard motor runs fine, port is the issue. Ignition switch turned to run, fuel pump runs as it should, and when ignition turned to start, motor cranks with no problems. The motor seems to catch, but will not continue to run. It acts as if the key is being turned off, rather than hesitating and dying, etc.. If you give it throttle while trying to start, it will begin to rev for a nano second and then will shut right down. I checked all connections, fuses, battery connections and I can't find anything. There is plenty of voltage with 2 big, fresh batteries. It is getting fuel, the primer bulb is firm. Motor was running fine last year and all spring - moving along at 4000 rpm on both engines and port simply died.

- I just replaced plugs on both motors, gapped at .28, indexed properly
- Replaced fuel filters - no shavings or contaminants (including water) in fuel
- I have check all fuses in the power distribution panel

I am thinking a sensor is bad or giving wrong reading but would like to hear from y'all cause I am not that good with outboards. Someone suggested the power distribution panel. . . . . .
Help!

fireman_bob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 Evinrude 225 tries to start, but immediatly shuts down after it catches. HEL

I have a 2000 200HP and had a similar problem. Turned out to be the EMM (for the 2nd time after being repaired). That's the last thing you want to hear, I know. Sounds like you need to get the software to see what's going on in the computer. If you're sure you have fuel and all electrical checks ok as you state, it sounds like your injectors may not be firing and they are controlled by the EMM. There's a test you can run from the software that turns on each injector individually and you can actually hear them firing. You can also check your coils in a similar test where you select each coil and can listen for it firing or watch with a timing light.
For starters (no pun intended) a simple test you can do without the software is to connect a timing light to each spark plug wire and crank the motor and see if you have a good spark on each cylinder. If you find one or more without spark, check the coil packs. Take the pack off and check the ground strap that comes out of the body and wraps around under the screw. On my boat a couple of these corroded open and motor would run rough. A couple of bad coils or connections may cause this issue. Also check each connection to the coils for corrosion on the coil stud and the contact inside the rubber boot. I described the procedure to rebuild these packs in another post, or you can get them off eBay pretty cheap.

BillR302

Cadet
Re: 2000 Evinrude 225 tries to start, but immediatly shuts down after it catches. HEL

Update - took the EMM off the stb motor and it fired right up!! Oh well, I guess the EMM goes back to DFI Tech in the morning.

BillR302

Cadet

Latest update:
DFI Technologies said it was a bad solder joint. EMM is out for delivery right now - but looks like I'll be on water this weekend!!!

A sincere thank you to all that helped this newbie!!!!

Manny L

Recruit

Latest update:
DFI Technologies said it was a bad solder joint. EMM is out for delivery right now - but looks like I'll be on water this weekend!!!

A sincere thank you to all that helped this newbie!!!!
I am also a newbie with the exact same problem. How much does DFI Technologies charge to repair the EMM?

BillR302

Cadet

About $800. They do upgrade inferior parts as well as fix the problem. Hopefully they fix the weak EMM parts.

daselbee

Commander

A bad solder joint from a pro repair company...**** poor.......not worth a crap, in my opinion.
I would expect more for 800 bucks.